• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Kleifarvatn, Iceland

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
kleifarvatn-bw.jpg

For colour rendition and other details, see this.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
5]
kleifarvatn-bw.jpg

see this.[/URL]

Hi Rajan,

I really appreciate BYW renditions. However, I am wary of just removing the color information. I'm a strong believer in mapping the hues to tones that allow one to better appreciate and enjoy the nooks and crannies, the grittiness and texture of rocks and lands masses in a way that color might not, by itself allow.

I have looked at the color rendition and feel that there may be a considerable room for further mining of the potential impressiveness of your interesting wide angle landscape of this unusual lake and surrounding volcanic hills.

I'd encourage you to continue to work on this image assigning different selected colors by suing filters or else by selectively processing for each interesting color to maximize the features that that color might show when remapped to tonalities only. It could be just my monitor, but it does seem to me that the rocks and base of the clouds have very little dark detail and tonal variation. In fact, different areas of green in your color version are just shown as black with no relief or shapes now appreciated. That's a pity. The B&W version should enhance and provide even more detail to the differences one can already see with color.

Asher

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Hello Asher,

Thank you for your critique; it is much appreciated.

Your second point is well-taken - clearly, the full potential of the colour rendition has not been realized. By their very nature, blog posts (my blog posts, anyway) are meant to be the equivalent of a quick first draft.

Concerning your remark on the b&w interpretation. Here I was trying to recreate a mood with the hope that I could convey some of the menace I felt at the location. I already had in mind the kind of look I wanted even before I sat down to processing the RAW file. So I worked with that as my starting point (a top-down flow) which meant I had to de-emphasize the micro, rather than starting from the ground up as I would normally do.

Regards,

r

5]
kleifarvatn-bw.jpg

Hi Rajan,

I really appreciate BYW renditions. However, I am wary of just removing the color information. I'm a strong believer in mapping the hues to tones that allow one to better appreciate and enjoy the nooks and crannies, the grittiness and texture of rocks and lands masses in a way that color might not, by itself allow.

I have looked at the color rendition and feel that there may be a considerable room for further mining of the potential impressiveness of your interesting wide angle landscape of this unusual lake and surrounding volcanic hills.

I'd encourage you to continue to work on this image assigning different selected colors by suing filters or else by selectively processing for each interesting color to maximize the features that that color might show when remapped to tonalities only. It could be just my monitor, but it does seem to me that the rocks and base of the clouds have very little dark detail and tonal variation. In fact, different areas of green in your color version are just shown as black with no relief or shapes now appreciated. That's a pity. The B&W version should enhance and provide even more detail to the differences one can already see with color.

Asher

Valentin Arfire

hi Rajan

here are my 2c thoughts

I think the low key has a lot of potential and you have found a place where bw can increase the dramatism of the place, the interesting clouds and in the end as Asher pointed, lead the viewer to a direction where, freed from some of the information in the color version, can follow your direction in this artwork. For instance, the texture of the waves on the lake is more coherent and strong emphased in the bw version than in the color one, it is one of the gains; but if teh price was losing the details of the vegetation and slopes...

Maybe you can control each color in the DPP and turn everything to bw only after you are sure you obtain the effect you want

Erick Fromm

If you live close to this place and can go back I would try a longer exposure and shoot the scene in b/w not color. I can see the water being smoother and the clouds too. Or maybe a different day would bring out more contrast in the sky. I really like the photo and the subject matter it is very nice too look at. I also understand the blog aspect too. When your trying to show a place your not really looking to make art. You most likely showing what it looks like to be there. Very nice composition I see a lot of potential in that photo.