• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Kids in Djúpavík in the Westfjords of Iceland.

kids-djupavik.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Rajan,

kids-djupavik.jpg
This is a very nice capture. By placing two dominant points (i.e. the wheel of the wheelbarrow and the football) near the opposite edges of the frame, and also due to the fact that they are linked to each other by a line (i.e. the bottom part of the wall), you have created a tension in the picture. The eye travels between those two points in both directions. Luckily, you have a good transition via the wheelbarrow to the standing figures of the children which eventually help hold our gaze and settle on them. The look on their faces is quite interesting, it is as if they are undecided whether or not to trust the photographer who "breaches" their trusted space. On a technical note; I think that the exposure of the picture is a bit dark, perhaps the white wall has caused it? Or was it intentional?

Thanks for sharing.

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Hello Cem,

Re. the exposure - I did exposure compensate by +2/3 of a stop to account for the white wall. It still looks a "bit dark" because it was. That was a cold, gloomy, and rainy morning. I will have more pictures from that session by and by.

Cem_Usakligil

Hello Cem,

Re. the exposure - I did exposure compensate by +2/3 of a stop to account for the white wall. It still looks a "bit dark" because it was. That was a cold, gloomy, and rainy morning. I will have more pictures from that session by and by.

I see. Looking forward to seeing more.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

kids-djupavik.jpg

Rajan,

There is so much organization in this picture that it could take adding to the wall substantially to make it taller. So if you have other pictures, I'd consider stitching and if you already cropped the image, put it back.

I do like it and feel even if one had to clone more wall, I'd do it just to see the effect. The taller the wall, the smaller the children in comparison, the more powerful the impact might be.

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Hi Rajan,

It's a curious situation that could be interpreted in different ways. To me, this time the wheelbarrow has beaten the ball for fun. Or perhaps the kids were caught in the development of a new exciting game that involves both objects! I think the photo is a simple and effective sample of the wonderfully irrational world of children.

Regards,

Ruben

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Ruben & Fahim -

This is a tiny village on a remote stretch of coast. These kids are probably not used to seeing too many people around much less strangers, so their gingerly look is understandable.

Asher - I have other shots including a full view of the (fantastic) scene, which, I promise, I shall post soon. If I had included a slightly wider scene that showed the wall to be larger in relation to the kids, the expressions on their faces would not have come through as well, so it was a trade-off.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ruben & Fahim -

This is a tiny village on a remote stretch of coast. These kids are probably not used to seeing too many people around much less strangers, so their gingerly look is understandable.

Asher - I have other shots including a full view of the (fantastic) scene, which, I promise, I shall post soon. If I had included a slightly wider scene that showed the wall to be larger in relation to the kids, the expressions on their faces would not have come through as well, so it was a trade-off.

The whole body becomes a gesture. We can imagine the faces well enough!

Asher