• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

street musicians

Hi George,

From a technical point fo view, there is something about the way these images have been rendered that I am not very fond of - the monochrome one looks a bit too soft (and I am usually not one for pixel-peeing) and the other one looks "harsh" and over-processed to my eyes - maybe it would have been better with less sharpening - I always prefer a soft image over a "pushed" one (but that's just me).

However, that notwithstanding, I absolutely love both images - every time I see postings of street musicians, it provides insight into a difficult and often sad life - these images are sometimes very difficult for me to look at and contemplate. You have captured both very well here... Some (like Asher's, posted some months back) provide a happy "don't worry, they are enjoying what they're doing" picture, but I see great sorrow in both of your images posted here.

I've never photographed (directly interacted with) street musicians, or any kind of people "on the street" - it is a part of my emotional growth as a photographer I have not yet dealt with.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The second guy, BTW, has probably had multiple skin cancers removed, probably because in early life he was in South Africa as a street musician get sunburned all day, looking handsome for the women! Now back in Ireland he's bemoaning the loss of the past life!

Dawid,

I like the monotone, it goes with the stone.

Georg,

To continue with the color of the first image, I find it works for such an Irish scene with such imposing buildings, but then I'd really like to see the rest of the building! Here, the two musicians are so distant from one another and the strong building is simply cut off!

This is tough to compose. Either one can photograph each separately or else go really wide angle and get the building too! Yes, this first image does also seem to be rather flat. Could be just the lighting or else perhaps might benefit from an S-curve to add dimension and in addition selectively darken the upper part of the building and lighten the lower part (and the faces) and darken further the edges and corners.

Otherwise one has little idea where to follow with one eyes.

OTOH, I may be locked in by portrait painting and the years with my father in law in the darkroom, dodging and burning! I just am so uncomfortable with flat, evenly exposed images, but that just me!

With landscape, say trees, the actual tree structure itself can draw its own patterns and make paths for the eye. Here, we have to either overcome and disrupt the very severe rigid background with shadows or else put in our own lighting.

Anyway, I am delighted to see such interesting characters in your pictures! I think this is a very rich area for you to work. B&W is perfect for this work, since one can leave behind the odd color schemes that should be considered a felony!

Asher

Thanks for your suggestions. Technically, yeah! Both were done in Lightroom which I have only a few days and I am not at home with it yet, on top they were not executed well, camera shake etc.

The two chaps were performing Rodrigo's "Concerto De Aranjuez" rather well and it was astonishing to hear in deed.

The older chap is Ben, he performs there every saturday for a 2 hours, I think he is in his early 90s.

I hate cities, but this was an interesting experience, I was walking the streets for 5 hours early sunday morning. I could imagine to do that more often, would be nice to get a Leica for street photography.

Last edited:

Steve Saunders

I actually know the guy with the accordian. Not very well, just to say hello and pass the time with. He has an NSU Quickly somewhere apparently.