• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

At the Alamogordo Zoo

Doug Kerr

This past Saturday, 2012.04.28, was Earth Day, and the principal celebration in Alamogordo, New Mexico was at the city's Alameda Park Zoo. There were booths from numerous agencies and vendors related to environmental responsibility, and many political aspirants were present as well.

The zoo is known for this extensive bird collection, but two of the most colorful birds were outside the exhibits:

Earth_Day_F31608-02-S700.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carla and Alamogordo mayor Susie Galea

On the left, Carla, who went "full purple" for the event; on the right, Alamogordo mayor Susie Galea.
Alamogordo has a "commission-manager" form of government, known in most other states that have it as the "council-manager" form. The city commission (like the city council in other states) is elected by the public; the commission elects the mayor from its own ranks. Susie is newly in office as of April, 2012. The city manager, engaged by the commission, is the actual chief executive of the city government; the mayor is more like the "head of state" of a nation.​

The zoo has several bald eagles (the national bird of the United States). Here we see an especially handsome one:

Earth_Day_F31707-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Bald eagle

Of course, I should have used a larger aperture to improve the suppression by misfocus of the enclosure mesh.

The state bird of New Mexico is the greater roadrunner (Geococcyx californianus). Here is a handsome one posing:

Earth_Day_F31659-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Greater roadrunner at rest

Here we see another one in stride:

Earth_Day_F31667-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Greater roadrunner in stride

The tail-to-the ground posture in stride is the basis for the species' genus name, Geococcyx (earth-tail). (Often the tail is erect when at a temporary standstill, although we do not see that in the previous image.)

More to follow.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

At the alamogordo Zoo - part 2

[Part 2]

At the south end of the zoo is a system of large ponds for aquatic and amphibian creatures. Here we see one of the nice pair of black swans:

Earth_Day_F31725-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Black swan preening

The swan's neck posture comes from the fact that it was preening and just paused for me to take this shot.

Here we see a couple of ducks (species unknown at the moment) just staying out of the way:

Earth_Day_F31730-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Ducks in hiding

These ducks (again, species presently unknown) have a beautiful coloration:

Earth_Day_F31740-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Ducks

Here is a water-borne goose (I think) taking a nap, adrift:

Earth_Day_F31738-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Drifting and dreaming

All the specimens at this zoo have been rescued from accident, injury, or illness.

Best regards,

Doug

Great Earth Day photos, Doug! The two most colorful birds stole the show, of course. Couldn't help but imagine that Wile E Coyote was working the shutter. I usually have no trouble identifying birds, but the ones with feathers and wings always confuse me.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This past Saturday, 2012.04.28, was Earth Day, and the principal celebration in Alamogordo, New Mexico was at the city's Alameda Park Zoo. There were booths from numerous agencies and vendors related to environmental responsibility, and many political aspirants were present as well.

The zoo is known for this extensive bird collection, but two of the most colorful birds were outside the exhibits:

Earth_Day_F31608-02-S700.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carla and Alamogordo mayor Susie Galea

On the left, Carla, who went "full purple" for the event; on the right, Alamogordo mayor Susie Galea.
Alamogordo has a "commission-manager" form of government, known in most other states that have it as the "council-manager" form. The city commission (like the city council in other states) is elected by the public; the commission elects the mayor from its own ranks. Susie is newly in office as of April, 2012. The city manager, engaged by the commission, is the actual chief executive of the city government; the mayor is more like the "head of state" of a nation.​

Doug,

What a great reason for going to Alamogordo! One can meet two distinguished ladies. Carla usually is the only one I'd take a second look at, but here, you have provided a really exceptional additional attraction. If I was single and half my age, I'd be off in a flash to meet this red head!

This one picture makes your new home very civilized and classy.

Asher