• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: Discovering the Fuji GFX Mirrorless Camera.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here I will post my experience with the 50MP GFX MF Digital camera.

I wont touch tech specs. Just how it works for me.

First it weighs .4 lb more than the Sony A7R and similarly can take almost any lens you throw at it with a $30 to $98 adapter for MF and $350-$550 for various electronic adapters that allow any native AF, aperture control and stabilization of the dapted lens.

I just have one lens, as the package broke my bank account at just clear of $8,000, (a special sale price at dealers that end December 31 2017, but B&H is still allowing apparently.

It fits in the hand well, the camera focuses very fast and there's a tiny paddle to move the focus point or one can use the touch screen.

I added a little fuji flash which works for casual shoots of several people together. I aklso have a more powerful Speedlight style Godox flash that either mounts on the camera or is fired by a compact trigger on the camera iinstead.

As the synch speed is just 1/125 sec, the advantage of Godoz is that they worked with Fuji to bring HSS so that we do not have that 1/125 limit.

Still I will test the camera on. my archaic but well tuned Lumedyne flash system and I will try out that 1/125 second allowable synch speed and see how it turns out.

I started, without looking at the manual. Thr camera was set to jpg and sRGB. That baffled me! When I went to correct it, I discovered that there was no Prophet RGB, just Adobe RGB 1998. So I set for that.

I turned out that not all my shots were in focus. could be that I didnt move the focus point over the target and when one is set to 50 mm equivalent of 35 mm camera, wide open, that can lead to a thin focal plane.

I have to celebrate my new Fuji GFX with its 32 to 64mm zoom with the baby size Medium Format sensor. I had to visit Holmby Park in the late morning to see how it handled with the enormous dynamic range of the shade and brightness.

I stitched 32 overlapping shots, handheld in Autopano Giga and the stitching went easilly. This could print at 300 dpi about 54" x 36".

[Group 3]-_DSF1061__DSF1093-32 images_0001 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Holmby Park Tranquility
January 2018
Fuji GFX 32-64 f4.0
Handheld 32 overlapping shots
Stitched in Autopnao Giga

This one is also added to my Holmby Park Collection.

Asher

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Congratulations! That is an exciting machine. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist it!

I'd be interesting in seeing a shot comprising only one frame. Do you still remember how to do that?

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I started, without looking at the manual. Thr camera was set to jpg and sRGB. That baffled me! When I went to correct it, I discovered that there was no Prophet RGB . . ."

Is that the color space that can predict the needed white balance color correction?

Or is it time for Siri to sign up for a spanking again?

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Thanks Doug,

I now have to rent a room and sell of some gear!

I stopped a tourist from Hong Kong walking past my house and caught him in the shadows of the trees. Remember, Beverly Hills is actually a kind of forrest, they have planted so many trees!

So this fellow came out a little dark. Here is the unaltered out of the camera jpg:

DSCF1014_out of camera jpg.jpg

Asher Kelman: Passer By From Hong Kong
Fuji GFX 32-64 mm zoom
out of the camera jpg

unprocessed

The camera is not magic! It has to have a brain behind it. In cases like this one needs fill in flash, or the patience to correct it in Photoshop et al.​

DSCF1014 from jpg only exposure corrected.jpg

Asher Kelman: Passer By From Hong Kong
Fuji GFX 32-64 mm zoom
out of the camera jpg

Corrected for exposure in Photoshop CC

Note the slight blue-fringing, which I have not bothered to face and correct yet. It is what it is! I will test another copy of that lens and see if it is present too with both shot side by side in high contrast, against the sun.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

DSCF1010_Fall Leaves in January copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Fall in January: After The Winds
Beverly Hills California 2018
Fuji GFX 32-64mm Single shot
Out of the camera jog

(Also added to the Winter colors series)

Asher

Asher Kelman

I can't wait to get an adapter for my AF image stabilized Canon lenses with wide apertures.

In addition I have to get adapters for Leica, Bronica SQ, Pentax 6x7, Pentacon, Contax/Yashica and Canon FD.

I have my eye on a 15 mm Ultra wide angle or else the ultrawide Canob zoom, 11-24 I think it is. What I expect to get is "better gradients & colors". For just resolution, I could have stayed with the A7 seriessand a new A7RIII at half the price!

So far, it's a pleasure to use!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Sophistication of Fuji In Camera Processing!

Here I have processed one single RAW file to my best capability with Photoshop CC 2018. I was concerned about the need to keep the gras and leaves saturated, so I made to files: one lighter for the people, and then one darker for the grass and trees and sky.

Then I looked at the JPG produced in camera by the camera processor and firmware.

Image from RAW File

_DSF1046_Dark with some lighter layer_from single shot_2.jpg

Asher Kelman: The Two Maryams
Single Shot Fuji GFX 32-64mm
From RAW with CC 2018

The sky is a nice blue, the grass and trees are fine too. The two women are of course a tad lighter, as I corrected for that by combining two layers.

Image from JPG file out of the camera only resized

_DSF1046_in camera JPG uncorrected.jpg

Straight out of Camera JPG just resized

What impressed me is how good the "out-of-camera" JPG is! Fuji, of course understands better than I do how to process its files. So it is likely to have impact on any color fringing. I must add that, I have currently no native profiles for this camera in Adobe Camera RAW.

Purple Fringing

1. Fringing can be caused by excess UV light or short wavelength violet light focussing outside of the focus plane of correctly focussed visible light.

2. Fringing can be caused by the focus being inaccurate so the different colors arrive at a different plane.

3. The camera just cannot get the light of different colors in exactly the same plane and this is seen where we shoot wide open in a high contrast area, such as dark edges against a bright sky.​

Here is a cutout at 100% to show the purple finging at the edges of the dark branches.

Image from RAW File

100 percent cut out purple fringes.jpg

Asher Kelman: Processed in ACR CC Photoshop 2018
Cut out to show Purple Fringing

Untitled-1Crop from Incamera JPG.jpg

Asher Kelman: "In Camera" Processed JPG

The in camera JPG processed jpg has far less purple fringing on the side of the stout branches!

I am disappointed with the appearance of obvious purple fringing seen at 100% in the image I developed from RAW using ACR in Photoshop CC 2018.

It is not especially noticeable in the complete image. I will look at a
printed version to see if the fringing, uncorrected is even noticeable.

The purple color of fine twigs, is however seemingly about the same in both my processed file and the JPG out of the camera. So the incamera engine, does not seem to be able to recognize fringing unless there is a detailed structure of some substantial thickness and then the purple color is just on the edges. That it can recognize.

My fault for shooting into the sun with a wide angle lens! Still, I think that processing the RAW file in the actual camera might be the correct workflow until Adobe gets the proper profiles.

Asher

James Lemon

Here I have processed one single RAW file to my best capability with Photoshop CC 2018. I was concerned about the need to keep the gras and leaves saturated, so I made to files: one lighter for the people, and then one darker for the grass and trees and sky.

Then I looked at the JPG produced in camera by the camera processor and firmware.

Image from RAW File

_DSF1046_Dark with some lighter layer_from single shot_2.jpg

From RAW with CC 2018

The sky is a nice blue, the grass and trees are fine too. The two women are of course a tad lighter, as I corrected for that by combining two layers.

_DSF1046_in camera JPG uncorrected.jpg

Straight out of Camera JPG just resized

What impressed me is how good the "out-of-camera" JPG is! Fuji, of course understands better than I do how to process its files. So it is likely to have impact on any color fringing. I must add that, I have currently no native profiles for this camera in Adobe Camera RAW.

Purple Fringing

1. Fringing can be caused by excess UV light or short wavelength violet light focussing outside of the focus plane of correctly focussed visible light.

2. Fringing can be caused by the focus being inaccurate so the different colors arrive at a different plane.

3. The camera just cannot get the light of different colors in exactly the same plane and this is seen where we shoot wide open in a high contrast area, such as dark edges against a bright sky.​

Here is a cutout at 100% to show the purple finging at the edges of the dark branches.

Image from RAW File

100 percent cut out purple fringes.jpg

Asher Kelman: Processed in ACR CC Photoshop 2018

Untitled-1Crop from Incamera JPG.jpg

Asher Kelman: "In Camera" Processed JPG

The in camera JPG processed jpg has far less purple fringing on the side of the stout branches!

I am disappointed with the appearance of obvious purple fringing seen at 100% in the image I developed from RAW using ACR in Photoshop CC 2018.

It is not especially noticeable in the complete image. I will look at a
printed version to see if the fringing, uncorrected is even noticeable.

The purple color of fine twigs, is however seemingly about the same in both my processed file and the JPG out of the camera. So the incamera engine, does not seem to be able to recognize fringing unless there is a detailed structure of some substantial thickness and then the purple color is just on the edges. That it can recognize.

My fault for shooting into the sun with a wide angle lens! Still, I think that processing the RAW file in the actual camera might be the correct workflow until Adobe gets the proper profiles.

Asher

Asher

This can be expected from sharp lenses and detailed sensors. Not a big deal and others have found ways to correct the problem. Should not be to difficult to find a solution.

James

Asher Kelman

Asher

This can be expected from sharp lenses and detailed sensors. Not a big deal and others have found ways to correct the problem. Should not be to difficult to find a solution.

James

Some Leica lenses are so well corrected that these aberrations are almost completely avoided.

Asher

James Lemon

Asher Kelman

Asher

It still happens with the best of Leica glass. Especially when shooting wide open and into the light. Have a look at the link below and it will tell you how to get rid of it in Lightroom

http://www.overgaard.dk/leica-50mm-APO-Summicron-M-ASPH-f-20.html#What is purple fringing and how to get rid of it

James

I hope for more with Leica glass, LOL. I am pretty sure they are far better than most at thesexaberrations. As to corrections it has been in Photoshop for years and I have always used it with the Canon 50mm1.2L! I just expected Fuji to be at a higher level. Still they are the most brilliant lenses I have used!

Asher