• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Where art thou Olympus?

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
The new Olympus E-410 looks to be an interesting camera. I've been looking for a small and unobtrusive DSLR for street work and although the K10D with a pancake or two is likely to end up being my choice, it isn't that small. Certainly not as small as it's kid brother but when you are shooting street with primes you need to crop and you start running out of print size very fast when cropping 6 megapixels.

The 410 is small. I've held the EU version 400 and it's actually rather uncomfortable to hold due to the positioning of the strap lugs given the size of the camera, I could get used to it I suppose. The annoying thing is that the lenses are not small and primes are give or take non existent. As Leica is putting input into the 4/3rds system, a couple of small Leica primes would be absolute heaven but I think we will be waiting a bit to see them if at all.

The reports of the original 400 said that the noise was pretty bad as expected from a 4/3rds camera but the 'warning' that came with the 400 when going over iso 800 is now gone on the 410 which has a new chip with iso 1600. Interesting to see if they've pulled any rabbits out of the hat.

Rambling aside, this camera with a Leica prime or two would be a pretty good street shooting tool. It wouldn't have the look of a M8 or 5D, but hey, neither does the vast majority of film street work anyway! A useable iso 800 should be enough for most street shooters, the DOF of a X2 sensor means that you can open up one stop more anyway for the same DOF.

Where am I going with this? The E-410 with a couple of primes would be a great street camera, whether it will happen is yet to be seen...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Ben, we slowly find that what we eventually get isn't always as great as we hoped for (but usually nowhere as bad as we fear).

Do you know the differences between the E410 and 510?

Also why not the other 4/3 cameras instead of the Oly?

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
The Leica 4/3rds body (LC1?) looked great, like a rangefinder almost, till I saw it in the flesh. The damn thing is huge! utterly rediculous to make a camera with those ergonomics so huge.

Kyle Nagel

I actually thought it was a rather beautiful looking camera, and even though it appeared it may be I little large I thought I may like it, until I held it, it is one of the most ergonomically uncomfortable cameras I've held, quite a disappointment,

Kyle

Kyle Nagel

That's what I meant, it's too big for the ergonomics it was made with, needs grips and thumb holds, etc for a camera that big.

It's a little sad though, I'm rather fond of Leica and it looked so nice when they announced it and released the photos of it. It's odd though that throughout the R&D process no one stopped and said, "Gee, it's a bit awkward to hold, maybe we should do something about that". The controls are even hard to operate when holding it naturally (not that it can be held naturally, but I think you know what I mean).

Kyle

Kyle Nagel

Do you know the differences between the E410 and 510?

Asher

This is an internet translation of the specs from a foreign website:

E410

Characteristics:
• Light and extreme compacts, with function of Previsualización in screen
• New Sensor Live MOS of 10 megapíxeles
• New motor of image processing
• USB of high speed 2.0
• Screen LCD HyperCrystal of 2.5”/6.4 cm
• Filtro de Supersonic Ondas for protection anti-dust
• Dual Ranura for memory cards (xD-Picture Card and CompactFlash)
• 32 ways of firing (5 of exhibition, 7 creative and 20 ways of scene)
• Integrated retractable Flash (NG 10)
• 3fps with up to 7 images in way RAW
• Balance of targets of a touch
• Function of blockade high frequency
• Function of Previsualización of depth of field
• Digital Measurement ESP of 49 zones
• Bracketd Function of of exhibition
• Advanced nascent and usuary Screen of information for
• Screen of information of reproduction detailed with histogram
• Based on the standard Four Thirds
• Dispone of optional watertight housing (PT-E03) submersible up to 40 meters
• Dimensions: 129,5 xs 91 xs 53 mm
• Peso: 380 gr.

E510

Characteristics:
• Previsualización of image in screen
• Stabilizing of integrated image
• Sensorial Live MOS of 10 megapíxeles
• New motor of image processing
• USB of high speed 2.0
• Screen LCD HyperCrystal of 2.5”/6.4 cm
• Filtro de Supersonic Ondas for protection anti-dust
• 28 ways of firing (5 of exhibition, 5 creative and 18 ways of scene)
• Integrated retractable Flash (NG 10)
• 3fps with up to 7 images in way RAW
• Function of blockade high frequency
• Function of Previsualización of depth of field
• Bracketd Function of (Exhibition, Balance of targets, Approach)
• Screen of information of reproduction detailed with histogram
• Based on the standard Four Thirds, which causes that he is compatible with almost all
range of accessories of And-System
• Dimensions: 136 xs 91.5 xs 56 mm
• Peso: 460 gr.