• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

CS4 issues when viewing an image at 100%

Paul Caldwell

I have installed CS4 on a older XP 64 bit machine, video card is a nvidia GEFORCE 8400 GS. Machine is about 1 1/2 years old, 8mb of ram and a dual core, not core duo processor.

The installation went fine and CS4 seems to run fine and process files, however when I view an image a 100% view and try to move it aroundthe image tiles as you move, and gets very jerky.

This happens in both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions.

I looked under the performance tab and my GPU settings are greyed out. CS4 says myvideo card drivers or card may need to be replaced. I have upgraded the drivers, but not the replaced the card.

It's been a long time since I saw this type of problem on CS4 and I can remember some type of setting on tiles that used to fix it, but can't find anythingspecific in CS4.

From my reading, I thought that that the GPU had issues with XP64 bit, with the 64 bit edition of CS4 and assumed the 32 bit would be OK. I also thought that the GPU and Open GL was more to do with the 3D stuff, which I didn't plan to use.

I have not loaded CS4 on any other 32 bit machine, XP or Vista to see if the issue is only related to this one box. CS3 works fine, no issues with moving an image around.

From doing more reading, it appears my issue is due to the Open GL design. I realized that the XP 64 bit OS, had no support for the CS4 OPen GL extensions, but thought you could turn them off or not use them. From reading some of the info and open ticket information on Adobe's site, I found more info.

Adobe states that you need to want to have a video card with at least 512mb of video ram if you are going to use the Open GL. They talk about upgrading the video driver so that it supports Open GL 2.0 and a certain version of shader. They also recommend turning off the Open GL Extension if you still have problems after upgrading your driver. From that I would assume that you could still get a smooth transition on a 100% view without the Open GL turned on.

Does anyone have CS4 setup with the Open GL turned off on video card with 256mb of ram and get a smooth transition when you move around your image at a 100% view? Not a view that breaks up into blocks as you move around?

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul Caldwell

Update

I just realized that since I had not yet applied my serial number, I had CS4 Extended running. Apparently
until you load the serial you get extended to try, which has the GPU functions.

Net, I now am current with just CS4, and all the GPU functions are greyed out stating not available unless
you are running extended. So all that is correct.

I still get a real slow jumpy issue when moving around a image at 100%. These are P45, 1ds MKII, 5D, MKII images
all tif. However a simple jpg also causes the same problem.

All the same files are fine in CS3.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell

update

One more update.

I reached adobe support. They told me that even though I don't have extended, you still need to use OPen GL even though it's greyed out "not supported in this standard version of CS4".

Tech had me open the software and hold down Shift, cntl & Alt at the same time. This gives you the option to reset prefs. I did this and now the images still tile but about 50% faster. Making it OK. However it's pretty evident, I will need to get Vista 64 bit and reinstall the software since there is no open GL period for XP 64 bit.

Paul C

Paul Caldwell

One Fix

Load the "bigger tiles" plugin in the plugins--extensions folder. This definately helps on the 32 bit version and seems to help on the 64 bit version. There is no actual 64 plugin, but I tried the 32 bit anyway.

You find the plugin on the CS4 DVD under Goodies

Paul Caldwell

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing your findings. I'm in the final stages of deciding on a new workstation. Your info helps in making some final decisions about components.

Bart