Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Image Processing and Workflow

Image Processing and Workflow RAW, DNG , TIFF and JPG. From Capture to Ready for Publish/Display. All software and techniques used within an image workflow, (except extensive retouching and repair or DAM).

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:04 AM
james sperry james sperry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 136
Default upgrade

i've never really had the need for any of the major uses of any ps programs. i opted to purchase the elements 4.0 only because it had everything that i needed at the time. now, i feel like MAYBE i could use some extra processes that are not available to elements 4.0. i'm not the most savy person when it comes to searching the internet, and i'm not the most trustful when it comes to salesmen. so i figured i might ask the good people here about being able to upgrade my elements 4.0.
is this posible or would there be a better bang for the buck if i went with a different program? lol ...... i don't have a lot of money to just drop on a fancy program
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,782
Default

James,

James to answer the question, first ask yourself where you feel Elements 4 limits you? Are there things you wish you could do andd you can't? Ask yourself what you need from the program.

If you are going to use other software, there are a number of interesting alternatives. Howevwer, the important thing first is where do you see your photography going. It's easy to spend money before it's necessary.

Asher

P.S. Let's say you decided to wanted to upgrade, going Photoshop might be better. Still you don't need CS4 or even CS3. The only reason for these, really is to get the latest Adobe Camera RAW for oipening RAW files from the latest new cameras.

Frankly, apart from shadow highlight tool, almost all the tools I need are in Photoshop 7! I think if you could buy a used copy with legal transfer of the serial number of CS2, for example. Get it from a photographer who is not using that serial number for their own upgrade. You would have so much power, way more than you can use right now.
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM
james sperry james sperry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
James,

P.S. Let's say you decided to wanted to upgrade, going Photoshop might be better. Still you don't need CS4 or even CS3. The only reason for these, really is to get the latest Adobe Camera RAW for oipening RAW files from the latest new cameras.
actually, you just hit one of the reasons right here. i have never been able to upload my RAW photos since i have had this program. i have the software from canon, but i can not get the raw images into elements 4. and then, if i can get the raw images into elements, i'm sure there will be no way to edit them.
so mainly, i'm looking to be able to download and edit my RAW images.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Gary Ayala Gary Ayala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james sperry View Post
actually, you just hit one of the reasons right here. i have never been able to upload my RAW photos since i have had this program. i have the software from canon, but i can not get the raw images into elements 4. and then, if i can get the raw images into elements, i'm sure there will be no way to edit them.
so mainly, i'm looking to be able to download and edit my RAW images.
James-

DPP, the free RAW conversion program from Canon is superb. Make sure you have the latest versions because the earlier releases were ho-hum-ish. I find that DPP delivers better color and sharpening than ACR (Adobe's RAW Conversion). DPP is very fast and easy to use.

My usual workflow is DPP for initial conversion and some global JPEG manipulation(s). Then import into CS2 for cropping and selective image manipulation (one can crop in DPP but I just do it in CS2).

I only use the tools/methodologies that were available to me in a wet darkroom. I prefer CS2 over Elements because there are less tool clicks in CS2.

Before you spend your monies on an expensive Adobe product ... try other image processing programs. Typically they are cheaper and product the same results. Try Capture One, Gimp (free), or Lightzone to name a few. (Lightzone is particularly interesting ... it is developed in a manner which reflects Ansel Adams "Zone" approach to photography.)

Most programs have a free 30 day trial ... so check them out, one spends a lot of time in processing ... so find a program that meets your requirements now, meets your requirements in the future and one which is somewhat intutive and comfortable for how you think and work.

Gary
__________________
Unsharp at Any Speed
My Snaps are here:
www.garyayala.smugmug.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:03 AM
james sperry james sperry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ayala View Post
James-

DPP, the free RAW conversion program from Canon is superb. Make sure you have the latest versions because the earlier releases were ho-hum-ish. I find that DPP delivers better color and sharpening than ACR (Adobe's RAW Conversion). DPP is very fast and easy to use.

My usual workflow is DPP for initial conversion and some global JPEG manipulation(s). Then import into CS2 for cropping and selective image manipulation (one can crop in DPP but I just do it in CS2).

I only use the tools/methodologies that were available to me in a wet darkroom. I prefer CS2 over Elements because there are less tool clicks in CS2.

Before you spend your monies on an expensive Adobe product ... try other image processing programs. Typically they are cheaper and product the same results. Try Capture One, Gimp (free), or Lightzone to name a few. (Lightzone is particularly interesting ... it is developed in a manner which reflects Ansel Adams "Zone" approach to photography.)

Most programs have a free 30 day trial ... so check them out, one spends a lot of time in processing ... so find a program that meets your requirements now, meets your requirements in the future and one which is somewhat intutive and comfortable for how you think and work.

Gary
lol ..... so yeah, remember when i said i'm not internet savy? ... i'm at the site and i did the search for digital photo professional and nothing really comes up accept for press releases. i can't find the actual downloads.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james sperry View Post
lol ..... so yeah, remember when i said i'm not internet savy? ... i'm at the site and i did the search for digital photo professional and nothing really comes up accept for press releases. i can't find the actual downloads.
James,

There is a catch with DPP. Canon makes only updates available on their web sites. The original is located on the product driver disk which comes with the EOS Digital Cameras. So the first thing you should do is to find that disk and install DPP from there. Next, go to this link and donwload the most recent upgrade:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=17662
This page is for 5D MkII but the DPP update version works with all Canon cameras. You'll have to choose your OS first in the selection box. After that, the download options for software will become visible. The upgrade works on any older version of DPP.

Good luck,

Cheers,
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Gary Ayala Gary Ayala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james sperry View Post
lol ..... so yeah, remember when i said i'm not internet savy? ... i'm at the site and i did the search for digital photo professional and nothing really comes up accept for press releases. i can't find the actual downloads.
LOL ... okay start here and follow the promps ... plug in camera, et cetera.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...wnloadIndexAct

The latest version I'm using is 3.5.2.0

Canon tends to release updates to DPP with the release of new cameras (new RAW type files) ... so ... you may want to plug in 50D to get the latest, the program is backward compatible.

Gary
__________________
Unsharp at Any Speed
My Snaps are here:
www.garyayala.smugmug.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM
james sperry james sperry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 136
Default

lol ..... ok, i did the download and all i got was a readme file. i'm using my laptop right now, should i be using my other computer that actually has my canon utilities on it?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Gary Ayala Gary Ayala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james sperry View Post
lol ..... ok, i did the download and all i got was a readme file. i'm using my laptop right now, should i be using my other computer that actually has my canon utilities on it?
Yes, as Cem stated Canon software will only download to a computer that already has Canon software install.
__________________
Unsharp at Any Speed
My Snaps are here:
www.garyayala.smugmug.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
james sperry james sperry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ayala View Post
Yes, as Cem stated Canon software will only download to a computer that already has Canon software install.
okay, so that would explain some of it ... lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!