• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

HDR Software

StuartRae

It's strange that Cem posts a thread about HDR software just as I'm about to post this!

I've put together some examples of different HDR software and tone-mapping methods, which you can view here

Any problems or errors please let me know.

Regards,

Stuart

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

It's strange that Cem posts a thread about HDR software just as I'm about to post this!

I've put together some examples of different HDR software and tone-mapping methods, which you can view http://www.lakelandphotography.net/OPF/HDR/

Regards,
Stuart
Hi Stuart,

It was Bart actually, not me, who started the HDR discussion here. :)
Thanks for posting this comparison, I'll get back to you after the due study it deserves.

Cheers,

Last edited:

I've put together some examples of different HDR software and tone-mapping methods, which you can view here

Hi Stuart,

A small correction of:
Photomatix Tone Mappinhg

The Tone Mapping plugin from Photomatix only works on 16-bit images.

The Tonemapping plugin also works on 32 bit/channel images (and also on 8-b/ch images if the mode is first changed to 16-b/ch, but with less useful data to play with). It has also been updated to version 2.0.

Other programs to keep an eye on are:
Picturenaut 3.0, a blazingly fast global tonemapper, and it's free.
and
HDR Photostudio 2.0, which has a good colormodel based on human vision, but the tonemapping needs more work IMHO.

Cheers,
Bart

StuartRae

I had hoped, but not really expected, that there might be some interest in the link I posted. Not to worry, it's only my time that I wasted, and I have plenty of that.
Even so It's time I moved on, so I'll wish you all the very best.

Regards,

Stuart

John Angulat

pro member
I had hoped, but not really expected, that there might be some interest in the link I posted. Not to worry, it's only my time that I wasted, and I have plenty of that.

Regards,

Stuart
Nay, nay Stuart!
I for one found it quite informative.
I have only used Photomatix and was unfamiliar with alternatives.
Your info was very helpful! Thank you!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Regards,

Stuart
Stuart,

This is such a major work you have done that it takes time to go through everything. I've been looking at things, looking up software and at the same time preparing thousands of pictures for 5 different shoots. There is digestion time for some things. Also when the forum is a little slow, answers come but one needs to trust. Still, your post has had 60 visits here. Can you tell how many folk visited your site to read the comparison of HDR software? A lot of people read but few write, especially if they don't want to appear ignorant. There were no responses to my Vertical Portraits post, here for days! Have faith! Your work is so appreciated!

I'm still going through your comparison. Don't be disheartened!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Stuart

I've never been that interested in trying HDR software (I'm always reluctant to try new software as I have little time for the learning curve involved) but found the information that you provided has made me want to try.....

So your post and the easy to understand information/comparison shots on your website has been valuable to me - thank you!

BTW I always enjoy your witty posts!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Stuart,

I now return having spend enough time on your extensive review to see the wide spectrum of choices by which one can bring out the richness of captured tones and details that are currently not exploited enough. I see a danger in over using these techniques, but no more so than any other tool in photography. The key, in my mind is to only use the effect to the extent one has to have that effect for a particular element in the picture, preferably in a new layer that can be masked to one's exact needs.

I'd love to have a set of copies of the conversions from the first program, media chance to look at in detail. Perhaps you might post large versions here.

Asher

StuartRae

Hello again.

Thanks and apologies to all who posted replies. I was having a grumpy fit, and I love you all (in a platonic sort of way of course).

I moved on, but my metaphorical knees didn't allow me to get too far, and I just about made it back. A bit like my son, who would regularly run away from home but not get any further than the end of the drive in case he got lost.

More importantly, I need to ask Bart a question, of which more later when I've gathered the evidence.

Regards,

Stuart

janet Smith

pro member
I was having a grumpy fit, and I love you all (in a platonic sort of way of course).

I moved on, but my metaphorical knees didn't allow me to get too far, and I just about made it back. A bit like my son, who would regularly run away from home but not get any further than the end of the drive in case he got lost

Hi Stuart

I'm glad you made it back from the end of the drive LOL- you always make me laugh!

John Angulat

pro member
Hello again.
Thanks and apologies to all who posted replies. I was having a grumpy fit, and I love you all (in a platonic sort of way of course).
Stuart
Ahhh...ain't love grand!
And for what it's worth, I too spend a lot of time heading to the end of the driveway...

Cem_Usakligil

Hello again.

I moved on, but my metaphorical knees didn't allow me to get too far, and I just about made it back. A bit like my son, who would regularly run away from home but not get any further than the end of the drive in case he got lost.

Ahhh...ain't love grand!
And for what it's worth, I too spend a lot of time heading to the end of the driveway...
+1...been there, done that, came back many times. It also helps knowing that you'll always be welcomed back :)

Cheers,