• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

CS3: B&W on Luminosity

Greetings,

can someone explain to me the underlaying technical implications on using the B&W adjustment layer when I change the blending mode to luminosity?

I found this to be a interesting effect in manipulating the feel and look of landscapes particulary when used in succession.

On a walk I shot a snap of an old ruin. Back home I masked the ruin and the rest of the landscape, then applied shadow highlights independantly, and after that added a b&w adjustment layer with preset "high contrast blue", and then a second one "high contrast red", to both masks, changing to luminosity and lowering the opacity gives and interesting control over the pictures appearance.

I just would like to understand what is really happening there.