• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Questions about Lightroom's library

Tim Armes

Hello,

I'm continuing to explore all of Lightroom's functionalities to see if it'll meet my needs. The ability to organise my photos is paramount to my workflow, so I've been playing with this feature to try to understand how to make the most of it.

I've struggling with a few things, but perhaps I'm simply missing something obvious.

1) I add a photo to a collection. How can I now tell that it's part of that collection? When I want to organise all my photos I need to be able to tell what's been organised and what hasn't. The fact that I can't see which collections a photo belongs to seems a major oversight.

2) If I accidentally add a photo to the wrong collection, what's the quickest way to remove it? The only way I've found is to click on the collection in question (thereby losing my current display), then select the photo, and press backspace. There's then no way to return to where I was before.

3) In the grid view, with lots of images, how do I scroll down just one line?

4) How can I tell which images have been edited (using develop or quick develop) and which haven't?

Thanks for any insights you can give me,

Tim

Steve Foster

Hi Tim,

I've been using the win beta for a while. As an RSP user I will get a free copy of the released version when it comes out. But so far i'm impressed with the end result but not at all impressed with workflow to get to that result. To answer your questions (hopefully accurately).

1. You can't tell which photos are in which collection without going through you collections. (a simple a...b...c tag would resolve this.

2. Your using it!!

3. You can't.

4. major flaw, you can't tell the difference. I am reliably informed though by Michael Tapes (on the RSP forum) that many issues will resolved before the next beta.

Tim Gray

Some good news

Jeff Schewe has indicated in a couple of posts on Luminous Landscape that the Pixmantec engine will be incorporated in Beta 4.

Don Lashier

Tim Gray said:
Jeff Schewe has indicated in a couple of posts on Luminous Landscape that the Pixmantec engine will be incorporated in Beta 4.
Great news - work flow deficiencies don't matter at all until the foundation is solid.

- DL

Tim Armes

Tim Gray said:

That's not what I understand. There's a podcast (number 10 I think) with the LR developers and the owner of Pixmantic where they discuss how they are going to combine code. The idea is not to replace Camera Raw code but rather to take the best bits of each.

Tim

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
No replacement of ACR engine. Just some technologies from RSP will be used. Not a bad thing at all :>)

Regarding the other questions, I would suggest you just wait for the public beta 4 since a lot of these details might very well be cleaned up at that point. Also the Windows and Mac should be very closely aligned.

Also you can delete a photo from a collection by highlighting the photo in the collection in the library module and hit the DELETE key.

Hope that this helps..

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Michael for the helpful information. Glad to have you around.

BTW, how does Archive Creator work with current workflow options?

Asher

Paul Caldwell

Delete key and library

I figured that out, but I was concerned it would also delete if from the folder on my drive. The info wasn't very clear.

IMO the flow is very mac like espeically in how Lightroom handles converted images.

However inital results are impressive, especially in the colors.

Paul C