• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dark Street Corner

Robert Watcher

Late night shooting into the shadows. Fortunately there was a bright light in the park that backlit a few of the people as they stopped momentarily before crossing the street. I set the shutter speed so there would be motion as the vehicles passed by the subject - - - waiting for what I felt would be interesting blurs before firing the shutter. All photographed in camera as Black and White images between 6,400 and 12,800 ISO with my Olympus EM-10 and 14-42mm kit lens - Handheld with IS. This set worked well for what I was anticipating the result would be:

IG-20170214-_RSW8127-Edit.jpg

IG-20170214-_RSW8141-Edit.jpg

IG-20170214-_RSW8157-Edit.jpg

IG-20170214-_RSW8186-Edit.jpg

IG-20170214-_RSW8172-Edit.jpg

--------

Robert Watcher

Before switching the camera to my preferred Black and White (with this subject matter) --- I had grabbed one frame in colour, which I nailed the timing with perfectly as people walked between me and the subject I was focusing on:

IG-20170214-_RSW8120-Edit.jpg

-------

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Before switching the camera to my preferred Black and White (with this subject matter) --- I had grabbed one frame in colour, which I nailed the timing with perfectly as people walked between me and the subject I was focusing on:

IG-20170214-_RSW8120-Edit.jpg

-------

All these pictures defy the Bresson magic moment of peak action, but, instead, explore that space in between the peaks! This is where decisions are made, as at the peak, action is merely "carried out" and displayed fully.

Trying to look between events and explore the indefinite moments is brave and interesting as it allows us to imagine all that might have occurred.

Abstract art is often about a deconstruction and blurring of what is defined and definite. This work is different, as the actions or poses have hardly been even worked out.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

I have used such a technique in the street and museums, walking behind a person and then taking a picture at slow shutter speed.

However, the subject gets blurred.

Your approach results in a more well defined subject.

IG-20170214-_RSW8157-Edit.jpg

Robert Watcher

Robert,

I have used such a technique in the street and museums, walking behind a person and then taking a picture at slow shutter speed.

However, the subject gets blurred.

Your approach results in a more well defined subject.

I suppose that if following or approaching - to get motion around a frozen image, may work best using flash.

At least on a street corners as I was situated here - the odd person would stop for a moment while there was traffic. They still moved though, and so it was a matter of anticipating when the peak of motion would be. And then of course I had an idea what worked and what didn't by looking at my cameras screen.

Being I was using slower shutter speeds, I sat down on a bench near the corner - and rested my camera on my legs for stability.

-------

Robert Watcher

It was kind of interesting going through the sequences in Lightroom. There were only 2 opportunities where I had around 20 seconds in total to get a shot that worked. Although the people were still moving during the sequence of 9 frames each. All the rest of the pics that I took were just one or two frames shot quickly.

The top 2 contact sheets according to Exif are around 20 seconds from start to finish. The last contact sheet with 4 images as the man approached the intersection - stopped for a second - and then carried on - -- - were exactly 3 seconds apart. Only the one frame was usable and had the look I wanted.

bwstreet.jpg

bwstreet2.jpg

bwstreet3.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Robert,

It was kind of interesting going through the sequences in Lightroom. There were only 2 opportunities where I had around 20 seconds in total to get a shot that worked. Although the people were still moving during the sequence of 9 frames each. All the rest of the pics that I took were just one or two frames shot quickly.

The top 2 contact sheets according to Exif are around 20 seconds from start to finish. The last contact sheet with 4 images as the man approached the intersection - stopped for a second - and then carried on - -- - were exactly 3 seconds apart. Only the one frame was usable and had the look I wanted.

bwstreet.jpg

bwstreet2.jpg

bwstreet3.jpg

Very nice.

You illustrate two things:

• A sequence can itself tell a great story.

• But sometimes only one frame does what you really want to do.

Best regards,

Doug