• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How was this achieved?

Jena Mohr

Seen this retouching technique done before. This photographer uses the same technique in each photo. Yes, they do typical retouch and use lighting, but there is this specific technique that they do to make the image...slightly darker, I guess? Any ideas?

(Photographer Radiant Inc)

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/251809_471578822901766_363712665_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/422146_314443911948592_56645473_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/s720x720/484625_397189903673992_63232003_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/308015_206924276033890_3278436_n.jpg

Jerome Marot

I would say:
-lit with a ring flash, so that the background is naturally underexposed
-crush the blacks (curve command, pull the bottom down)
-adjust saturation and color balance.

Most of the effect is due to the ring flash light. The ring flash is quite recognizable from the kind of shadows it produces.

If you want to do that outside, you'll probably need a camera with a central shutter to get a sync speed that is high enough.

Cem_Usakligil

During my five year mission as an OPF moderator, I've dealt with more than hundred such posters Jerome. I recognize the patterns. Yes, the inquiry seems legit. It would indeed be if it came from one of the regulars. However, this is a first time poster. It is highly unusual for people who are legit to start with such posts. The typical pattern is drawing attention to a website or a product in the form of asking questions about it. The next step is to usually coming up with a solution which answers their own question. I'm not saying that I'm right about this one, if I'm proven to be wrong I'll duly apologize.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
During my five year mission as an OPF moderator, I've dealt with more than hundred such posters Jerome. I recognize the patterns. Yes, the inquiry seems legit. It would indeed be if it came from one of the regulars. However, this is a first time poster. It is highly unusual for people who are legit to start with such posts. The typical pattern is drawing attention to a website or a product in the form of asking questions about it. The next step is to usually coming up with a solution which answers their own question. I'm not saying that I'm right about this one, if I'm proven to be wrong I'll duly apologize.

You're such a suspicious bugger, Cem. You didn't spot me first time and look how I turned out.
Give the girl a chance? If she turns out to be a raving stalker, send her my way. I'm lonely.

Cem_Usakligil

I'm not suspicious Tom, just alert and experienced. The fact that this person had posted this one off question five days ago and hasn't even logged back in to check the answers is proof enough that I have been right.

I did spot you right away for what you really are. That's why we have become friends.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm not suspicious Tom, just alert and experienced. The fact that this person had posted this one off question five days ago and hasn't even logged back in to check the answers is proof enough that I have been right.

I did spot you right away for what you really are. That's why we have become friends.

How come you always know more than me? Are you a member of the MIT?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's also here, as the same question, definitely here but only in passing and perhaps even here too as a related guess. So that's not much for a content spammer. A lot of folk post their images in several places on the web.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
That's the way my Old Man would fish. He'd throw a few lines in, then go have lunch. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his lines. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his hat. He usually bought his fish on the way home. From a reliable slice no less.

That's the way my Old Man would fish. He'd throw a few lines in, then go have lunch. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his lines. Sometimes he'd forget where he put his hat. He usually bought his fish on the way home. From a reliable slice no less.
I am with Tom on this one... more so, at least his Dad bought the fish instead of stealing one... and even more so, I am sure it was a tasty fish (the one he bought) than "any fish".

Jena Mohr

Actually, this is a legit question. I also know the photographers (yes, two of them). I have worked with them before as a model. Very awesome people. I was curious how they do their editing since I have never seen it done before. I felt bad for asking them. I am going to work with them again sometime next year.

So no. I am not a spammer, just a curious n00b.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
See, Cem. She's just shy. Prefers to ask us, perfect strangers, than to go to the source.
Lesson #1 Jena.
Anything past a direct quote is here-say. And then only believe half of it.
Lesson #2
Don't trust anyone to trust you.

Jena Mohr

I have only worked with them once, of course I am not going to ask their editing techniques.

You trolls just want to see proof, aka see me naked. This is why I hardly ever post in these forums. Too many "trolls." It was a simple question. No need to be douche nozzles about it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have only worked with them once, of course I am not going to ask their editing techniques.

You trolls just want to see proof, aka see me naked. This is why I hardly ever post in these forums. Too many "trolls." It was a simple question. No need to be douche nozzles about it.

Jerome gave you a good response.

Asher

Chris Heilman

Jerome gave you a good response.

Asher

Asher, Jena thanked Jerome in reply #13.

This thread epitomizes why I always feel like an outsider when I visit OPF. Y'all are talking about the OP while she's right here. Dial it down a bit Cem. Cut newbies a bit of slack, and maybe wait wait for an embedded link before calling someone out as a spammer.

Jena, I like your slur: "douche-nozzles". ;) Which model are you? #2 I hope - her face is perfect for this kind of burlesque-esque type of expressive photography (although they are all doing a great job!) I haven't used my ring-light since the 1980s, and now I feel like digging it out!

Jerome, thanks - see above.

ps - pop the corks, this is my 10th post!