• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Prtizker Prize Won by Swiss Architect Zumthor! Your best shots, his buildings!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In a surprise move a hardly world famous architect has been pushed into the headline by his selection for one of the most coveted awards in architecture: the Pritzker Award.

_45660118_zumthorap.jpg

Photo BBC Peter Zumthor

Who can locate and photograph his building? There's the cathedral built by wrapping concrete around trees trunks and then burning away the wood or the perhaps an office building or museum near you? Even possibly you are near the famous Thermal Baths in Vals where his most famous work is located.

The Chicago Tribune writes:

"While little known to the public, 65-year-old Peter Zumthor is a legend within the profession, renowned for his reclusive, monklike image and for buildings, mostly small in scale, that are filled with spiritual overtones even if they aren't overtly religious. Among them: an art museum in Cologne, Germany, that gracefully incorporates the ruins of a Gothic church destroyed by Allied bombs during World War II, a tiny field chapel in the German countryside and a popular thermal bath house in Zumthor's home Swiss canton of Graubünden. "In paring down architecture to its barest yet most sumptuous essentials, he has reaffirmed architecture's indispensable place in a fragile world," reads the citation of the eight-member Pritzker Prize jury, which includes 1998 winner Renzo Piano."source

Read more here.

At least list where they are and then we can work together to learn about his work and see how well we can photograph his creations! :)

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Asher

we have some Zumthor stuff in OPF already:

look here, in post nr.3. It's been taken with a snappy, only.

Zumthor might not have been known in the US - but he was well known/regarded in Europe; its not a surprise, to me. He lives in Haldenstein, near Chur, the alpy aerea of Switzerland, and I remember talking with him, before I left my native aerea.

Zumthor has another merit, as he 's been one of the quarterbacks of the young grison (grison = Graubünden) architecture scene.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher

we have some Zumthor stuff in OPF already:

look here, in post nr.3. It's been taken with a snappy, only.

Zumthor might not have been known in the US - but he was well known/regarded in Europe; its not a surprise, to me. He lives in Haldenstein, near Chur, the alpy aerea of Switzerland, and I remember talking with him, before I left my native aerea.

Zumthor has another merit, as he 's been one of the quarterbacks of the young grison (grison = Graubünden) architecture scene.
Thanks Michael,

I'd love to have OPF'rs list locations and then go and take photographs

Michael Fontana

pro member
Thanks Michael,

I'd love to have OPF'rs list locations and then go and take photographs

Asher

okay, quite a lot (including the bath and the shown chappel) is in Switzerland, close to the alps, so you have to jump over!

One building is not far away from here, at Biel-Benken, a bit further at the Museum in Bregenz, one of the newer ones is in Köln, the Kolumba.