• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New version of Safari - Beta 4 posted by Apple

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
For Macs and PCs, Apple has posted a download for the latest version (still in Beta but really stable on my MacBook pro)
Together with the Install, you'll find an unisntall in cas ou don't like it… it will restore your earlier version.

Try the "show best 10 sites" AWESOME!

Loading pages are really faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast !

Here it is !

You'll have to run the software update (in the Apple menu) first. Otherwise the update won't install.

I'm ... doing my best to use it... some things are good, but other...

how do I get all my BOOKMARKS and pass codes etc from the old SAFARI or FIREFOX ??

There is no progress blue aqua bar on the bottom right hand .. I like that to see when the juice is coming in

... colors look good ...

fahim mohammed

I am facing problems opening ( ms hotmail ) posts with this version. have now unistalled it. Don't have the time or patience to figure out the reason.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Fahim
in case you recover some patience ;-)

from http://www.macfixit.com/
If one wants to read more, do it quickly as their front page is renewed quite oftenly and stored for members only…

Updated Friday, February 27 2009 @ 05:30 AM PST

Today's Featured Article
Late-Breakers
Safari 4: fixing Growl-related crashes; Hotmail workarounds; more

Other WebKit applications (Mail.app, etc.) crashing; related to Growl Several users have reported an issue in which various WebKit-based applications crash or exhibit other issues after installing the Safari 4 beta. In some cases, tehse issues are caused by the system add-on Growl.

One reader writes:

"I downloaded and installed safari 4 beta on my mac pro os x 10.5.6, restarted as required, mail immediately failed to start at login and could not be restarted. Removed beta, mails works properly."

A developer on the Growl team explains the issue:

"Mail uses WebKit to display messages, and one of the changes in Safari 4's new WebKit is stricter enforcement of which thread you call it on. We call a method named attributedString in Mail; it calls WebKit's method; WebKit's method raises an exception because we (indirectly) called it from a secondary thread. I have already created a fix and proven that it works. I've sent the patches to the other developers for review; if I hear nothing bad about them by tomorrow, I'll put them into the repository as part of 1.1.5."

In the meantime, you can workaround this issue by putting Growl into summary mode. This can be accomplished by entering the following command in the Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.mail GMSummaryMode -int 2

Hotmail inaccessible The issue with Safari 4 and Hotmail is universal. Sure you can look at emails by changing your user agent but try replying to one. I have had any problems with anything else (including Gmail) and I have no addons.

You can resolve some issues with Hotmail by changing the Safari user agent. First enable the Develop menu (if you haven't already) via this process: Launch Safari, then navigate to Preferences>Advanced and choose to show Develop in the menu bar.

Next, login to Hotmail, then go to the Develop menu and choose User Agent>Firefox.

Unforunately, a number of users are still experiencing issues sending mails after switching the user agent.