• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Layers in Lightroom and Aperture!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
OnOne has avaialble for free download a preview version of Perfect Layers.

PL1.jpg

• Combine multiple images from Lightroom into a single, layered file
  • Perfect Layers 1.0 will include Aperture and Bridge support
  • Adjust layer size, position, blending mode and opacity
  • Use layer masks and masking tools to blend multiple layers together

Even "If you're not a heavy duty Photoshop user, Perfect Layers is the simple yet powerful way to experience the creative possibilities layers offer. For example you could take two exposures of the same scene and merge them into one file with the correct overall exposure.

You could also take two images of the same family portrait setting and merge them to a single file so you can take the best smiles from the two images. You could even combine multiple images to create a montage or album page layout.

The files that are created by Perfect Layers are non-destructive and can even be opened and edited by Photoshop and Photoshop Elements later if desired."

Blending layers: "With Perfect Layers you can control how much of each layer is visible by using the familiar Masking Brush from PhotoTools 2.6. Similar to using a layer mask, you can paint with the onOne Masking Brush to reveal or hide areas of a layer. The masking brush is non-destructive and can even be re-edited with Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

Best of all, Perfect Layers brings you the power and creativity of blending modes to Lightroom and Aperture. Get amazing and highly stylized effects with simple blending modes in Perfect Layers."

Read more, look at videos and Downloadhere!

Asher Kelman

Would you plan to use "Perfect Layers" in your workflow or would you just open CSx?

So Lightroom and Aperture users, how does it work for you and could this mean not having Photoshop on your laptop?

How about combining that with U-point technology of Nik?

How do you see it being helpful? :)

Asher

I don't use any of them and If I had to do that I'll think ACR immediately.... BTW is Aperture just for Mac Users? (I never had the will to check out). As far as I read some random stuff on the internet it looks like there's nothing I can't do with Bridge/PS/ACR.. (maybe not the DAM stuff probably)...Anyway these two are too expensive, I think.

Jonas Wendorf

Personally I don't need it, as I don't use Lightroom.

But for whomever thinks about buying it because he/she has neither Photoshop nor any other image editing program, I'd say the price is to high for the options given.

The price is aimed at about 160$.
For the basic features this plugin offers, I'd rather buy Photoshop Elements for 80$ which costs half as much and has more options.

Jerome Marot

Aperture is mac only, yes.

BTW: Aperture already has some adjustment layer functionality built-in. It just does not call it layers, but it works just the same for brushing adjustments in or out. I don't quite see the point of this software for Aperture users.

Asher Kelman

A lot of product and wedding photographers know what they need and are pretty good at getting things close to right in the shot. A lot use Lightroom as it is excellent in in DAM, Data Asset Management. The incremental cost of the the new layers plugin is not great. It does allow blending of layers which could be helpful for artistic effects.

The cost should be more like about $65 to to really sell like hotcakes!

Asher