• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Windmills

Martin Stephens

I just moved to the Palm Springs area this month. The first amazing subject I am in love with is the windmills of the San Gorgonio pass. Here's one of a few I will post.

Feel free to say anything in critique.

_DSF8123_zps12dadd57.jpg

Chris Calohan

Those things run all the way up to Tehachapi and probably all the way to the coast from there.

I like the first and second ones for the scope and scale. These things are enormous and make the oddest "whooshing" sound.

Martin Stephens

Chris,
Yes, the noise up close is sorta otherworldly. The three big windfarms in the state are San Gorgonio seen here, Tehachapi as you mentioned and then Altamont pass in Livermore. North of that, there's not much of any scale. There has been lots of pushback because people think they are ugly. I think they are beautiful for all they represent.

The entire Coachella Valley (here) is powered by the San Gorgonio plant. About 5,400 windmills and a lot of solar panels.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One more windmill..

_DSF8366_zps1600405f.jpg

Martin,

This one picture allows me to think just of the structures and the landscape as joined together. I like it and I could revisit again and again. The end of the day sky and man's impressive handiwork encourages self-reflection.

If you were to print this, would you plan to make any changes or is it finished?

Asher

Martin Stephens

Asher,
The first print looked very good. I do not do extensive post processing - a little LR for contrast and saturation. Sometimes it takes a couple prints to get just the right amount of blacks on my R2400. Glad you enjoyed it as I had a thrilling moment when I pressed the shutter, and the moment was lost so quickly after that. I love the man-made landscape and I feel the immense sense of our accomplishment by these things.

Martin Stephens

I think I am having a lack of understanding on using PHOTOBUCKET - which is new for me. I might have MOVED the photos to another folder, which of course would change the linking. My fault - as usual.

I need to pay more attention.