• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Serranía La Lindosa Del Guaviare

Peter Dexter

There is an area in Colombia where plate tectonics and volcanic activity have produced huge sandstone formations in the Serranía La Lindosa of Guaviare department. Over millennia local Indian populations produced pictograms on the many cliff faces. Unfortunately it is not possible to carbon date them because they were painted with mineral based iron oxide pigments but speculation ranges from as recently as the Spanish conquest for some to ten thousand years or possibly older for others. I visited the area last week.

33135612348_907a5e28cf_b.jpg

However in one of the paintings there is an animal that could be a Giant Ground Sloth.

46286747614_6446e52834_b.jpg

There is speculation that another section was painted during the invasion by the Spanish Conquistadores and that the apparently frightened people face a Spanish war dog which the Conquistadores used to attack and kill the Indians. The Indians made traps of sharp spines to pierce the dogs' feet and deter them but the Spaniards devised iron paw protectors which may be what we see on the animal's feet.

46286749794_9b941852dd_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Spain was punished by fate!

What is left of their power!

All this cruelty in the name of what?

They brought pigs, pig fat, muskets and likes and took women grain and gold!

Some 8 million killed!

Asher

Asher Kelman

There is an area in Colombia where plate tectonics and volcanic activity have produced huge sandstone formations in the Serranía La Lindosa of Guaviare department. Over millennia local Indian populations produced pictograms on the many cliff faces. Unfortunately it is not possible to carbon date them because they were painted with mineral based iron oxide pigments but speculation ranges from as recently as the Spanish conquest for some to ten thousand years or possibly older for others. I visited the area last week.

33135612348_907a5e28cf_b.jpg

However in one of the paintings there is an animal that could be a Giant Ground Sloth.

46286747614_6446e52834_b.jpg

There is speculation that another section was painted during the invasion by the Spanish Conquistadores and that the apparently frightened people face a Spanish war dog which the Conquistadores used to attack and kill the Indians. The Indians made traps of sharp spines to pierce the dogs' feet and deter them but the Spaniards devised iron paw protectors which may be what we see on the animal's feet.

46286749794_9b941852dd_b.jpg

This last rock pictographs is of especially tragic beauty. Do we know if it was only documenting what happened at the hands of the murderous invaders or are there signs or suggestions that this also had some built in “curse” on the oppressors?

What is the name for such a drawing and are there scholarly articles on them you have discovered?

Asher

Peter Dexter

I have not found any scholarly articles but there may be some. Our guide told us that a total of only eight archeologists had visited the sites (there are several) of the pictographs.

Asher Kelman

I have not found any scholarly articles but there may be some. Our guide told us that a total of only eight archeologists had visited the sites (there are several) of the pictographs.

I would like to engrave these pictographs in my new sculpture of the Biblical division of the Red Sea. Can I get a set of detailed pictures to work from.

Asher