• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

[VIS, UV] A Bouquet of Mexican Zinnias

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Shot July this year, just discovered while digging through files for a project.

VIS:
original.jpg

UV:
original.jpg

showing these interesting UV reflection patterns reaching deep into the UV-A domain.

For your (hopefully) viewing pleasure in these dull and cold days...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Shot July this year, just discovered while digging through files for a project.

VIS:
original.jpg

UV:
original.jpg

showing these interesting UV reflection patterns reaching deep into the UV-A domain.

For your (hopefully) viewing pleasure in these dull and cold days...

Klaus,

The B&W look is stunning. An excellent result!

In the UV image, the insects would see tiny reflections from the pollen, as they landed. but where is the nectar and is it black for them or can they see the red and hello too?

Is there any way insects can modulate the mixture of light or are all receptors equally sensitive to UV and visible light to a fixed extent and always "on"? As the eyes don't have a cover, what do they do when they are resting? I'd think they have a way of switching off the input. If that's so then they might do that for selective use of wavelengths!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks Asher, quite some old posting actually.

I would guess, once that UV pattern has done its intended work and has attracted the bee (insect) from far (bees only see unsharp far away) and made it approach, also smell gets important and allows the bee to find the honey (pollen is less attractive and more collected as a by product).

The bee's eye is most sensitive to UV, then to blue, then to green and a tiny bit orange red. It has three receptors similar to us i.e. bees are trichromats.