• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: DPReview.com first test data on Canon G1X Big Pocket digicam

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have always loved the G series Digicams. The G11 and G12 are mature. With the flash shoe for the Canon speed lights, one can operate several banks of lights and achieve pretty damn good lighting. In fact, for 8x10 prints, this camera is already pretty swanky. Now with an almost APS-C sized sensor, the G1X offers and all in one pocket solution, but no interchangeable lens.

GX1pic_1.jpg

Canon USA: G1X

DPReview has just released their tests. Here's the result at ISO 1600.

G1X1600.jpg

© dpreview: First tests, "quick look" at the G1X Used under "Editorial Fair Use"

The formal final tests are yet to come as the periphery is pointed out to be soft. So I guess they are going to test another sample. Look at the very effective interactive review where you can set the ISO and which cameras to compare here.

I was surprised how good the Olympus Pen is and am reassured that my Ricoh GXR 50mm Macro holds up well up to ISO perhaps 800. At 1600 the GXR loses the noise race, but maybe we could correct that.

So what do you think, assuming the soft close ups at the periphery are solved by a new copy or by Adobe RAW or DXO.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

The G1 X is a very interesting machine.

I have so far "insisted" on a large "zoom ratio" in my "pocket or almost cameras", as I have been spoiled by carrying an EF-S 18-200 on my EOS 40D. But of course that has brought a lot of performance compromises (including on the 40D!).

But I think I could do most of my work with the FOV range of the G1 X, and really benefit on many performance fronts.

Of course, just now the budget is way strained by the "frictional loss" of the upcoming relocation to Alamogordo (saving money is very expensive!). But it's nice to look ahead.

Best regards,

Doug