• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flowers in a Vase

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We had a nice bunch of tulips as a gift. Well, my wife got a gift. So I took a snap where it was and then on the glass table I made, to get a fancier background.

_MG_1041_800.jpg

Asher Kelman:Tulips in a Glass Vase #1

_MG_1049_800 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Tulips in a Glass Vase #3

This next one was taken in the garden on top of a black bar stool:

_MG_1088 1.Cropped.jpg

Enjoy!

Asher

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

Excuse me Asher but these are tulips.
These are deffodils :)

Comments ?

Nice colours, bad backgrounds, three photographs = three lights, in the kitchen ? don't they - the flowers - deserve a better place to pose ? :)

The best light is the second one. It has a reflection from our right which enhance the shapes.
The light coming from through the glass is nice

:)

Asher Kelman

Thanks for visiting Jerome and Antonio! This is an impulse set of pictures to take advantage of an opportunity. The first was the honest truth, just the flowers were they are in the kitchen. The second is placed where I thought the light was better. The last, in the garden was an exploration. I too like the second best as it has the repeat lines of the wall shadows and the steel of the chairs to balance the round shapes of the flowers.

I am open to ideas.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thanks for visiting Jerome and Antonio! This is an impulse set of pictures to take advantage of an opportunity. The first was the honest truth, just the flowers were they are in the kitchen. The second is placed where I thought the light was better. The last, in the garden was an exploration. I too like the second best as it has the repeat lines of the wall shadows and the steel of the chairs to balance the round shapes of the flowers. I am open to ideas. Asher

If ideas do not pop up the flowers will fade... :)

I would photograph them with a neutral background, very technical look but blurred on the computer, confused.

Just a silly idea before they fade :)

Asher Kelman

We had a nice bunch of daffodils as a gift. Well, my wife got a gift. So I took a snap where it was and then on the glass table I made, to get a fancier background.

_MG_1041_800.jpg

Nice colours, bad backgrounds, three photographs = three lights, in the kitchen ? don't they - the flowers - deserve a better place to pose ? :)
:)

Well, Antonio

The first picture tells the truth, where the flowers are and how they look. That's the point. It's factive. The only thing I could do is choose the position from which to take the picture and get the verticals reasonably straight.

The represents what we see and enjoy.

Asher

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

That opens up all sorts of possibilities. What did you have in mind?

I don't know. I feel that the vase limits the possibilities. It is a big bouquet and the flowers are tightly packed near to each other. I don't like that visually.

If I had the flowers to photograph, I would experiment with less of them. Maybe with matching or contrasting colors. Maybe from the top or laying on a black background.

You could also document the evolution of the flowers. Tulips do that: they still grow in the vase, open up, then shed their petals. That might be interesting.

As you said: all sorts of possibilities. You are the photographer.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Asher,

Nice photos and flowers.

To the rest,

Sometimes "Flowers in a Vase" are just that, "Flowers in a Vase". Quite often we over think the situation and miss the whole point!

Will

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Let me now explain the second picture. I simply moved the vase, without altering the gift in any way, but put it in a place to contrast the new backgrounds modern architectural forms with the natural feminine roundness of the tulips.

_MG_1049_800 copy.jpg

As you can see, the background has an interplay of parallel lines of shadow and steel, rectangular blocks and from above an giant white V shape covering the territory in which the flowers visit temporarily. We visit places to. we each have individual colors that don't match when we stand before our architecture too.

So that's what it is. The present just visited the dining room, that's all. :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome and Antonio,

I still appreciate your feedback. Yes, I photographed a present, a bunch of flowers given to my wife. That's what I showed.

Your remarks are now pertinent. The flowers are starting to show their age. I'll consider borrowing some of them, for their own worth as flowers, when my good wife is distracted!

Asher

fahim mohammed

' ordinary ' things. Almost ' mundane ' you might say.

Remove the flowers from the table-top/sink and witness how ' unordinary ' the ' mundane ' can be.

The placement of the flowers to me is the difference between the informal and the slightly formal.

I like the informal. Not pretenses, just giving pleasure every time on looks.

Asher Kelman

' ordinary ' things. Almost ' mundane ' you might say.

Remove the flowers from the table-top/sink and witness how ' unordinary ' the ' mundane ' can be.

The placement of the flowers to me is the difference between the informal and the slightly formal.

I like the informal. Not pretenses, just giving pleasure every time on looks.

Thanks Fahim,

For visiting and for coming to the defense of factive photography. My object in the first picture was simply to show the flowers as they are enjoyed in my home, nothing more and nothing less. It's not mean to be extraordinary art, just documentation done well. It tells a a little about the person who chose the flowers and arranged them thus. Maybe she doesn't have color sense we appreciate but for sure she has a good heart! Also consider my wife's choice in their placement.

_MG_1041_800.jpg

She put them by a picture of the Colburn School from 15 stories up, a picture that's housed in a silver frame presented to her in honor of her service as Chairman of the Board of the School. This, then, is a place of honor for the flowers. They are also positioned next to where I sit, she prepares food and where all guests can enjoy them.

Sometimes we just want to be thankful for what we have as friends, family and opportunities in life to be relevant to each other. That's what these mundane flowers with odd mismatching colors represent for us.

Asher​

Asher Kelman

I owe it to the flowers and to the prodding by Antonio and Jerome, for me to venture further and I will. I have rescued the yellow ones and will post more shortly.

asher