• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Grave yards

Tim Armes

Hi,

I'm looking for inspirational images of grave yards/cemeteries. Not just snap shots, but images that try hard to create an emotional response.

It's surprisingly hard to find anything on the web. Is there anybody here that can point me to an interesting collection?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

I have a couple shots of a family cemetery in Missouri. I took a shot of a child's grave marker that I found emotional...

I've seen these "show me your lonely benches" posts before, and I thought this was going to be a "show me your cemeteries post"!

Are you working on a project? Personal or Professional? Will you be contacting the image owners and asking or paying for usage?

Anyway, this post will bump the thread and maybe someone with just the right collection will see the post!

Tim Armes

It's for a personal project. A couple of other photographers and myself are getting together to do a project on cemeteries. Whenever I start a project like this I like to see what's gone before - I find that it's helps the inspiration...

I can't find much though.

Well, it looks like the field is open!

Sounds like an interesting project. It seems many of the images on the net are for documenting family trees...

Just for inspiration... ;) here's that infant tombstone from the Roberts family cemetery I was talking about...

gravestone2.jpg

And a young adult...

gravestone1.jpg

Fairwell!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Tim,

Coincidentally, during my vacation a week ago I took some snaps of an old but still in use cemetery at Les Baux De Provence , an ancient French fortress/town on top of a very high hill in Southern France. I realize that you’ve explicitly asked for anything but snaps, but since no others have reacted except for Ed, I thought it would not hurt sharing these with you anyway .

BTW, I know that Dierk Haasis, a currently inactive member of OPF, might have just what you need. I will contact him and ask him to take a look at this thread.

img_32158_0_182129286-O.jpg

img_32158_1_182129316-O.jpg

img_32158_2_182129352-O-1.jpg

img_32158_3_182129371-O-1.jpg

Cheers,

Anil Mungal

I particularly like the images by Pamela Williams in her series of cemetary photos. There aren't a lot to see on her site, but it should whet your appetite and allow for some inspiration to be drawn.

Tim Armes

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses, they've certainly given me some ideas.

I'll post some of my own once the project's underway.

Tim

Angelica Oung

The First Cemetary in Athens, Greece. I literally got lost in the cemetery because it was so vast, which was good because I ended up taking more pictures than I otherwise would have. The whole place had an air of gentle decay about it.

IMGP0392.jpg

IMGP0399.jpg

IMGP0402.jpg

IMGP0411.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the OPF, I hope you'll like it here. Please drop by the introductions forum later in order to introduce yourself :).

I would like to comment on your picture, but the immediate issue is that it needs downsizing. It is 3000 pixels wide and it makes the whole thread totally go off screen. We normally post images of 400-600 pixels wide here, except for the images that require C&C which might be 800 pixels wide or even a bit wider if it is a panorama or if there is a real reason to. Would you be kind enough to replace this image with a downsized version please? Thanks a lot.

Regards,