• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Newbie image posting question

Greg Rogers

Hi all,

I just bit the bullet and attempted to post my first image, ever, anywhere. How thrilling!

I have no idea what I am doing. If I read the rules correctly, the max image width or height is 400 pixels in either the horizontal or vertical. My post looks puny, and It'd look better at maybe 800 width.

BTW, I haven't quite the hang of navigating here yet or I'd link to the thread. It's the "out your backdoor" thread in this (Layback Cafe) section.

Help? Thanks!
-Greg

Greg Rogers

Indeed, Photobucket. I went from zero know-how at approx 1:00 AM last night to learning "save to web" in PS CS3, and even creating a corny Avitar "self portrait" for another forum" in an hour.

I'm so proud. <smirk>

Asher just said in the the "out your backdoor" thread that my post would be better at twice the size. I'm off to resize it. I was just trying to follow the rules. I likely misinterpreted them. Thought 400 pixels max in X or Y axis. Asher said twice the size would be better, and that's what I wanted to do in the first place....800 pixels wide.

What a great place this is. Thanks for replying, feel free to opine further. I assume I likely need to upgrade to a paid Photobucket account so the upload limit doesn't crash. The cost is nominal. Drives me nuts when linked files go dead....don't want to become a victim of one of my own pet peeves. :)

-Greg

Greg Rogers

You've passed me already!
Not really, Rachel. I have absolutely no clue what I am doing. This image posting is new territory, as is this forum. Don't be Baffled by my Baloney. :)

I've resized in PS CS3 to exact pixels I want, saved to web, uploaded to whatever-it-is-bucket, and the post is still too small. Yikes. I'll get it figured out maybe tomorrow....or 2 years from tomorrow.

Cheers,
-Greg

Ray West

Hi Greg,

If you can't get the image size the way you want it, just post the link (URL) here, in this thread, and someone will try and help you out wrt to size, etc

Best wishes,

Ray

PS I see you sorted it, well done

Last edited:

Greg Rogers

Hi Greg,

If you can't get the image size the way you want it, just post the link (URL) here, in this thread, and someone will try and help you out wrt to size, etc

Best wishes,

Ray

PS I see you sorted it, well done
Thanks Ray. I'm still not 100% on sizing for web, but I'm a quick learner (and unfortunately, an eqally quick forgetter, my downfall). If I get baffled, I'll ask further questions.

Thanks again!
Greg

Ray West

Hi Greg,

I use PC's not Macs, so if you use Mac, the following is of no use. I am not saying this is the best, but it does it good enough for me.

I use picasa2 for doing quick galleries. You can then refer to an individual thumbnail, and a larger image as you wish.

I use 'Irfanview' for quick/rough anything on images. I recently downloaded it again for another pc - it's free. There now appears to be another similar named site with pop ups and selling stuff, get out of there, you need the site with the waterfall on the front page, and get the plug-ins too. (It may direct you to tu-cows or elsewhere for downloading.)

Best wishes,

Ray

Greg Rogers

Hi Ray,
I'm a PC user too so I'll check out the apps you mentioned. I've heard of Picassa, irfanview is news to me.
Thanks!
-Greg