• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Near Infrared: Abandoned Infrastructure!

Just a couple typical compositions of abandoned infrastructure, but I hope the choice of wavelength might make them worth sharing. The first is converted to b&w while the second is more or less out-of-the-box tobacco brown. Comments are appreciated, as always.

119779363.jpg

Iowa Interstate Railroad in Bureau County, Illinois

119878825.jpg

Hennepin Canal in Bureau County, Illinois​

The canal was obsolete shortly after it was completed, but methods of construction originally established here were used later in the building the Panama Canal. The railway was later built along the south edge of the canal. The rails are now rusty, and the poles no longer carry wire.

Ruben Alfu

Hello Tom, sorry I cannot comment on the technical side, but I find these two photos very interesting. The first one is so harmonious, and the sinuous railway gives a strong sense of movement. The second one is of special interest for me because the Panama Canal history is a subject that fascinates me, thanks for sharing this important fact.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am gathering UV, IR and other less used spectral imaging. This comes from an interesting thread here.

We're hoping to encourage exploration with other parts of the spectrum beyond what the naked eye can appreciate!