• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

infrared house

Daniel Buck

Pulled out my infrared 10d yesterday, haven't used it in about a year or so, forgot how much I enjoy the results!

ir_01.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Daniel,

I like to see different ways of looking at scenes. This is such an occasion. I hope you'll give us more. I hope you'll follow up with a wider view. I wonder how many levels it's possible to get in the clouds. Do you need to under expose a little to get that detail or is it there if you just chose to process it for the highlights.

What conversion did you have for your 10D? Is it just allowing in the IR visible and UV too? Do you need extra filters?

How would this look without the color?

Also are there adjustments for IR focus?

Asher

Daniel Buck

This is about as wide as i can go without stitching, 12mm (on smaller chip). It's the view out my window at home, so I can't step back either :-D May do a panorama though, not a bad idea :)

As for the exposure, I tend to under expose a little bit when shooting IR, the metering isn't always 100% accurate, and sometimes it'll blow out very bright whites in plants, so I usually under expose by 2/3 or so, checking the exposure after each shot. As for the processing, I usually just do an auto levels to get rid of the heavy red cast, and then do an additional curves layer for contrast. Sometimes I'll swap the red and blue channels to give the scene more of a blue look.

I had the 10d converted at lifepixel some years ago, it's strictly IR, no visible or UV. No filters needed. I believe what they do is remove the filter ontop of the chip that cuts everything above the red spectrum, and replace it with a filter that cuts everything below IR so that it sees just the IR light. I wish I had a 5d or something else with a bigger viewfinder and bigger chip, but I don't shoot IR to often, so I'll just hold on to the converted 10d for now :)

I believe some focus adjustments have been made in the camera, auto-focus lenses seem to do pretty good (though sometimes they focus wrong, so I double check often!) Most lenses have a marking on them for IR focusing, so it's fairly easy to focus with manual lenses too. Some lenses have a 'hot spot' in the middle of them, probably due to some sort of coating or something on the lens. Other than that, IR shooting is pretty easy :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, Daniel, it would be nice to stitch up a wide panorama and don't fret about the cable. Simply clone it out! I'd love to see this is B&W and also done with visible light too.

Asher