• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dead vehicles of Pahrump Nevada

Daniel Buck

Had a nice trip to Pahrump this past weekend visiting a friend. Along with seeing the Hoover Dam and Death valley, we did a bit of offroading, and found some dead cars :) The Jeep looks like it probably fell off the cliff above. !!

we totally lucked out with some sweet cloud cover, I was excited about that! Shot these with my infrared converted 10D

pahrump_01.jpg

pahrump_02.jpg

pahrump_03.jpg

pahrump_04.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Daniel,

These are all impressive photographs worthy of exhibiting. I do hope this interest is part of an ongoing collection as it is such a strong metaphor for our work and efforts in life, bringing us back from conceit to reality about our existence for only a while and then death.

Your last picture, of a shiny perfectly healthy vehicle, gives us a breathe of life as if we are seeing a wild stallion, ready to gallop away.

Your distribution of light and shade is satisfying. However, I do think that if you are digitally scanning the negatives for digital printing, then you might, perhaps, consider differential sharpening or even on some occasions, blurring and darkening or lightening, in order to give more or less importance to elements of your pictures. As it is the presentation is very even. hat however may be part of the way you choose to optimize your photographs and if so, then, of course, my ideas do not apply!

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Daniel Buck

I don't have any plans for the photos, but yes it is sort of an on going thing. I like looking for old abandoned cars in the woods/desert, and photographing them :)

The Jeep was a nice find, it had apparently not been there for to long, as there were no gunshots visible in any of it's body panels.

Asher Kelman

I don't have any plans for the photos, but yes it is sort of an on going thing. I like looking for old abandoned cars in the woods/desert, and photographing them :)

The Jeep was a nice find, it had apparently not been there for to long, as there were no gunshots visible in any of it's body panels.
So, Daniel,

Are these indeed 4x5 or else your venerable 10D? If the former, what film and developer? That's for my own guidance.

Asher

I am usually not a big IR fan. I don't know why. It has just never really interested me except on very few occasions. Your images however have caught my eye and my attention. The mix of textures between the sky, the hills, the ground, and the vehicles works very well and makes me look at these things a little differently and a little longer. I like that it is not the typical view of a desert scene and how it gives it a completely alternate feeling. I hope to visit the desert soon myself.
James Newman

Asher Kelman

Daniel,

Do you recall where you had the modification to IR made? What does it now allow in. Is visible blocked? Also did they adjust the focus for you?

Asher

Daniel Buck

I had it done at LifePixel some years ago. Yes, the focusing has been adjusted, so with autofocus lenses, the focusing is usually right on. I've got a few lenses that sometimes miss focusing at infinity for some reason, but that's no problem, since I can easilly judge by the focusing scale on the lens with the IR dot for infinity shots. I'm not sure if that's an IR thing, or if it's just a 10d thing. I didn't use the 10d before it was converter to IR, so I'm not sure.

As far as I know, it's completely (or mostly) IR, nothing below IR.

Daniel Buck

yea, the horizon is tilted, it's actually on a hill, I didn't level it out completely. Guess I probably should have, since there's no indication that it's on a hill in the photo. I wasn't entirely sure how I wanted to frame it, level to the world, or level in the photo, so I kinda did 1/2 way inbetween :-D

Daniel Buck

Ya should've come on up to Tonopah! We've got lots of junk lying around. None of it's that new though.

Jim, I like stuff as old as the 20's and 30's too! How near is Tonopah to Pahrump? I'll be going back to Pahrump fairly often I imagine (few times a year?) since i've got an old friend living there now. I could swing by your area maybe next time :)

Jim Galli

Jim, I like stuff as old as the 20's and 30's too! How near is Tonopah to Pahrump? I'll be going back to Pahrump fairly often I imagine (few times a year?) since i've got an old friend living there now. I could swing by your area maybe next time :)

Actually it's about 185 miles north. Not very close but who knows, in the heat of the summer you may want to come up to 6000 feet some time.

Daniel Buck

Actually it's about 185 miles north. Not very close but who knows, in the heat of the summer you may want to come up to 6000 feet some time.

hm... yea 185 miles north, that's about as far as I travel to get to Pahrump in the first place. Maybe sometime in the fall I'll get in contact with you and maybe swing by, I want to hit death valley after the heat this summer, so I'll probalby be taking some extra time off to do that.

Jim Galli

hm... yea 185 miles north, that's about as far as I travel to get to Pahrump in the first place. Maybe sometime in the fall I'll get in contact with you and maybe swing by, I want to hit death valley after the heat this summer, so I'll probalby be taking some extra time off to do that.

'nother neat place to shoot, especially when it's too hot for DV is the ancient bristlecone forest up in the White Mtns across from Bishop, CA.