• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

California Wildfires

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ken,

Thanks for the pointer! I've long suspected that Nikolai sets the fires since he has taken such a lot of shots of so many fires. It turns out that being in Thousand Oaks, CA, is a good vantage point to see the seasonal wildfires. It baffles me as to why people can have homes with such poor access roads in fire prone areas, where one disabled care can block the fire trucks.

I think this is one of our greatest vulnerabilities and to my mind is evidence that few people really want to harm us!

Asher

Daniel Buck

I wish I had more time to shoot some of the aftermath of the fires! Here are some that I took earlier this year, in the aftermath of the fires new the end of 2007 and early 2008. For some reason I really enjoyed shooting the burned out hills and trees. I grew up around forests, so maybe that's why, it's different seeing them burned out. Sad, but not completely sad, cause the burn brings out new strong growth.

griffith_tree_04a.jpg

griffith_tree_01a.jpg

corral_02a.jpg

corral_01a.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Yes, the wakes of these fires leave almost extraterrestrial landscapes. Very nice work capturing such scenes, Daniel.

Russell Hunt

Brilliant but terrifying

I know that each year we see many images of California's wildfires. But the Boston Globe has a collection of images that, at least to my eye, are especially distinctive. Several are actually quite artful compositions, of obviously tragic scenes.

How right you are.

Photographically speaking, there are some stunning images here. Its hard to imagine how some of them could have been posed any better.

However, you could never appreciate how powerful these are unless you have lived through something like this.

I have.

6 years ago a firestorm in Canberra Australia, destroyed nearly 400 homes in 3 hours. 12 of the burnt homes were within 500 metres of our house, one being our next door neighbour.

This is briliant photojournalism because some of these images actually convey what it feels like to be right in the middle of it.

This is my first post to the forum, trust the next one I make relates to an image which isn't quite so disturbing.

Regards

Russell Hunt
Canberra, Australia
http://www.throughmyeye.smugmug.com

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
"The Valley of the Shadow of Death"

I know that each year we see many images of California's wildfires. But the Boston Globe has a collection of images that, at least to my eye, are especially distinctive. Several are actually quite artful compositions, of obviously tragic scenes.

Ken,

Where are these images shown or is it a supplement of important images of the past year? You are a great source for thinks like this!

How right you are.

Photographically speaking, there are some stunning images here. Its hard to imagine how some of them could have been posed any better. However, you could never appreciate how powerful these are unless you have lived through something like this.

I have.

6 years ago a firestorm in Canberra Australia, destroyed nearly 400 homes in 3 hours. 12 of the burnt homes were within 500 metres of our house, one being our next door neighbour. This is briliant photojournalism because some of these images actually convey what it feels like to be right in the middle of it.

This is my first post to the forum, trust the next one I make relates to an image which isn't quite so disturbing.

Hi Russel,

I'm impressed already with this, just your first post to OPF! We'll give you another welcome after you show up in the Introduce yourself forum! I'd hope this is a forum people bookmark!

Some of the best photographs evoke memories of what we've experienced and might yet have to face. This last one reminds more of having to go through a gauntlet of fire. Soldiers in the beaches of Dunkirk or the Aussies and Kiwi soldiers in Gallipoli in World War I.

I wish I had more time to shoot some of the aftermath of the fires! Here are some that I took earlier this year, in the aftermath of the fires new the end of 2007 and early 2008. For some reason I really enjoyed shooting the burned out hills and trees. I grew up around forests, so maybe that's why, it's different seeing them burned out. Sad, but not completely sad, cause the burn brings out new strong growth.

corral_01a.jpg

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil;

My cup runneth over.Surely goodness
and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.
23rd Psalm, King David
Asher