• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fireworks on the water

This is my first time shooting fireworks and these were done while sitting in the boat. There was a small wind which caused some movement in the water. I joked with my sister and told her that would bring my tripod, mount the camera to steady it while in the boat -- Took her a few to realize that would not really accomplish much to steady the camera in a moving boat.
Technical stuff:
Shot at 800 ISO F8 1/3 shutter speed Hand held, elbows on knees while sitting at the back of the boat. Some cropping done for composition, levels, noise filter and sharpening.

Used the flash to capture front of boat, then balance of shot for fireworks.
9853-Fireworks.jpg

9917-Fireworks.jpg

9919-Fireworks.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Hard to shoot them

For being in a moving thing and shooting a moving target, you did particularly well. I have tried fireworks several times and never found my images to have the results I'd like.

I am waivering about bringing my camera to tonights event. We will see....(or maybe we won't!)

Thank you Kathy. I was hoping for some better results, but also had to be okay with the movement in the images. Good luck with your shooting, hope that you have fun!

Marshall

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Lost in LA

Left my camera home and always sorry I did. I was in a perfect spot to get great photos of people including Tom Lasorda of the Dodgers although I did not see any thing but digicams. Was in a bad angle to shoot the fireworks...too much smoke coming in my direction.

Oh well, people are thinking my nose is 4 to 6 to 12 inches long and changes color from black to white and back again.

When friends and family ask "where is your camera" you know that you have it in your hands a lot! Oh well, at least they know we are serious about this thing....
Hope that you had fun either way.

Marshall