• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tombstone Engraver

Robert Watcher

A few blocks east of the cemetery, there is street lined for blocks with tombstone engravers. I found Marlon working away with an air chisel this afternoon, and asked him if I could take a few picture of him working. It was a small space and just tucked my head in the door and shot with my always present Olympus E10 with kit lens

6FE27A12-0D43-402C-AFFF-C021BABB40E8.jpg

ED5D2E7A-F8D5-49F0-B24B-BD9948770022.jpg

F5AE5864-81DB-4BA5-BAE6-8873E4530C9B.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A few blocks east of the cemetery, there is street lined for blocks with tombstone engravers. I found Marlon working away with an air chisel this afternoon, and asked him if I could take a few picture of him working. It was a small space and just tucked my head in the door and shot with my always present Olympus E10 with kit lens

6FE27A12-0D43-402C-AFFF-C021BABB40E8.jpg

ED5D2E7A-F8D5-49F0-B24B-BD9948770022.jpg

F5AE5864-81DB-4BA5-BAE6-8873E4530C9B.jpg

Robert,

I thought these letters wore done today by some CAD process. This fellow is super skilled. I have such respect for stone masons and artists as one can, for the most part, only remove stone and not add it back. I guess that if he is skilled enough to carve those letters by hand, then he could also repair a chip or damaged letter.

Does he use templates for the letters?

For one thing, he doesn't seem to have safety glasses. Wait till the City Inspector comes and fines the owner!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

I thought these letters wore done today by some CAD process. This fellow is super skilled. I have such respect for stone masons and artists as one can, for the most part, only remove stone and not add it back. I guess that if he is skilled enough to carve those letters by hand, then he could also repair a chip or damaged letter.

Does he use templates for the letters?

For one thing, he doesn't seem to have safety glasses. Wait till the City Inspector comes and fines the owner!

Asher

What it looked like to me was that he drew out a grid with a pencil and then penciled in a letter on each square of the grid. He may lay down templates and trace around them with the pencil - I didn’t see them. When I dropped in, he was using an air chisel to gouge out the ares between letters, and then I noticed the hand tools that will be used for the fine carving and grabbed the shot of the them.

——