• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: And why not?

fahim mohammed

To add to the stable of ‘ one of a kind ‘ lenses, portrait photographers for the Leica M camera system can now have their portrait fantasies realized by the new Leica Noctilus-M 75/1.25 mm lens.

The price...well if one has to ask the price...a mere US$ 12795.00

And to get the point home, Leica prices..across the board bar very very few items, shall increase in May.

One can go through the recommended price list HERE

Let’s get the pre-orders in folks!!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Actually, the cost of premium lenses is not a big worry. If one uses them and then after 5-10 years they are sold, there will be very little price change. Only problem is that a $11,000 lens sold in 7 years for $11,000 should case about $16,000 to $22,000 to keep up with inflation and the devaluation of money itself!

If one can afford such lenses, one has the benefit of a fine reliable mechanism, far more reliable than a plastic or stamped set of assembled parts. Still, just to get a certain job done, fine lenses are best rented or one can use many inexpensive but hardly as elegant replacements.

No different than finding an elegant and educated fine woman as opposed to the many equally lovely ladies one meets in a bar and can easily replace a lot of the comfort the finest women can offer, but not always the elegance!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, I find myself in agreement with you with respect to camera prices; for the most part.

However, there is always a however. I deem it ( I shall be generous here and call your comparison of ladies to cameras ) as demeaning.

I never compare human beings to tools. Cultural differences?

But here is a comparison to explain some of the camera and lens nuances.

The difference

Actually, the cost of premium lenses is not a big worry. If one uses them and then after 5-10 years they are sold, there will be very little price change. Only problem is that a $11,000 lens sold in 7 years for $11,000 should case about $16,000 to $22,000 to keep up with inflation and the devaluation of money itself!

If one can afford such lenses, one has the benefit of a fine reliable mechanism, far more reliable than a plastic or stamped set of assembled parts. Still, just to get a certain job done, fine lenses are best rented or one can use many inexpensive but hardly as elegant replacements.

No different than finding an elegant and educated fine woman as opposed to the many equally lovely ladies one meets in a bar and can easily replace a lot of the comfort the finest women can offer, but not always the elegance!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher, I find myself in agreement with you with respect to camera prices; for the most part.

However, there is always a however. I deem it ( I shall be generous here and call your comparison of ladies to cameras ) as demeaning.

I never compare human beings to tools. Cultural differences?

But here is a comparison to explain some of the camera and lens nuances.

The difference

Fahim,

Your reaction to my use of women as an example is proper and shows you’re good values and chivalry!

Nevertheless, I do stand by my use of the choice of women in my example for its simplicity and truth. Why? The choice of a partner in life is far more important than selecting a camera as consequences of poor choice are so more obvious. Moreover, it doesn’t help one to be blessed with the finest most elegant partner, if one has insufficient civilization, self worth and social skills to walk faithfully and with respect beside her. So winning a Leica somehow, doesn’t make one a great photographer!

Still, it is so obvious, Fahim, that your reference is far superior to mine! You have provided a pearl of wisdom, mine is merely a quip over dinner!

The speaker is clear and appears experienced, well informed, expert in use of lenses and really worth listening to. The comparison of a Fuji X series camera to a Leica is a much more enjoyable comparison and so informative. It shows in many cases that the Leica delivers truer and richer colors with less annoying noise and no slight purple hue contamination found in some of the Fuji images. I appreciate so much this link and enjoyed it!

Having said this, I would be cautious. I still would like the opinion of someone more expert than I in optics and color science to reassure me that there is no hidden flaw in this report that has been missed!

Asher

fahim mohammed

I stand by my original assertion that I will never consider women as tools or commodities. It is vulgar and contrary to all my values.

My mother gave birth to me. A woman, she was, and the most honorable person in my life. She can never be compared to a tool or a useable commodity.

My views have nothing to do with chivalry. They have to do with what I believe is right, per my religion, my customs, my traditions and my personal beliefs.

YMMV and so might your values regarding women.

I shall not participate in this discussion any further.

Asher Kelman

I stand by my original assertion that I will never consider women as tools or commodities. It is vulgar and contrary to all my values.

My mother gave birth to me. A woman, she was, and the most honorable person in my life. She can never be compared to a tool or a useable commodity.

My views have nothing to do with chivalry. They have to do with what I believe is right, per my religion, my customs, my traditions and my personal beliefs.

YMMV and so might your values regarding women.

I shall not participate in this discussion any further.

You misunderstand me, Fahim. I never consider women as tools or objects. No one else here would imagine that. You suggest cultural differences. That is true.

What is vulgar in one place may not be in another.

We have a different cultural use of language. I use metaphors extensively in the limited sense of the needed context. You are perhaps intepreting my words as concrete. That might be the difference.

Asher

fahim mohammed

One can buy the Leica goodies here ( amongst many other places ).
The neighborhood is good for photography. With or without a Leica.

p2817783810-5.jpg

Last edited: