• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Epson 9880 and Photoshop

Elaine Major

Hi, I'm a large format printing novice and newcomer to this forum. Can anyone help me with my problem: I'm using an Epson 9880 to print on canvas from the photoshop elements 5 edit area. I resize the image I want to print, in elements, then go to print and make all the adjustments such as media size, print size, colour management etc., etc., but my prints often come out not quite as big as requested. I use rolls of media not sheets. Any thoughts welcome!!

Tony Fiorda

Elaine,

I am not sure as it's been a while since I've printed on my 9800, but it sounds like either a drive problem or you're not setting your paper size up properly in both PSE and the driver.

I print on roll paper also, and have to create a paper size I want to have printed. Then I set the image up for that size in PSCS. I am not familiar with the print function in PSE, but it sounds like a setup problem of some sort.

Tony...

can you clarify 'not quite as big'?
for example there is a shift in feed lenght with media thickness which is set by the media type selections
Edwin

Paul Caldwell

More info needed.

Can you give an example?

The 9880 will never get the running length correct with canvas. There has been a lot written about this and even Epson now recommends making some changes when to the paper feed adjustment.

You should be getting the width tack on however.

Example.

If you print a 24 x 36 on a 44" roll, where the 36" is on the width and the 24" is on the running length. If you don't make an adjustment to the paper feed in the driver or add some length to the print, you will get a short print. Most times off my 1/8 of an inch but on a larger print, up to 1/4 inch. This is a mess if you are mirroring your edges as it's hard to get an exact fit.

If you are having another issue, this it's due to something else.

I add to the print size depending on the image.
20 x 30 I add 1/8
24 x 36 I add just a bit more than 1.8
30 x 45 (45" is the running length) I add 1/4 of an inch.

Paul Caldwell

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If you print a 24 x 36 on a 44" roll, where the 36" is on the width and the 24" is on the running length. If you don't make an adjustment to the paper feed in the driver or add some length to the print, you will get a short print. Most times off my 1/8 of an inch but on a larger print, up to 1/4 inch. This is a mess if you are mirroring your edges as it's hard to get an exact fit.
Paul,

Which way is it best to abut canvas when one is using several pieces for one large out door piece? Is it more accurate to go across the width if the canvas or the length. Also is there a glue for this?

Asher

Paul Caldwell

Hi Asher,

Say you are doing 3 30" x 50" pieces. With the 9880, your 50" would be the running length. So you would need to add to the paper feed adjustment in the driver (if you print from Photoshop) or add to the actual 50" in the print. I would add approx 5/16's for a 50" length.

There is another hidden issue with Epson's, most people don't seem to notice it as they don't do mirror finishes. Many times the printer will skew the print. Facing the printer, the right side of the print may be 50" the left side as much as 501/8". This may not seem like much but if you are doing a 2" mirror, it's a show stopper as you can't line up the mirror edge unless you skew your stretcher bar. Then it won't look right. The only way I have found around this problem is to sheet feed the canvas. Then you get an even print. You still have to add to the running length but at least it's even. This works on prints for me up to 30 x 45" (45 is the running length). After that handling such a large sheet of canvas with one person it's easy to damage it.

So on the 30 x 50. I would add the 5/16's to the 50 inch length, and not mirror my edge and let the printer roll feed. Remember for a 30 x 50 gallery wrap, you would actually have a
34" x 54 5/16" print. The extra 4 inches is for the 2" wrap.

Paul

Mark Prins

Canvas Printing

I have moved away from doing wraps for canvas. The test prints we ran in April of 08 are 38x50 inch. We dry mounted one and wrapped the other. The framer I work with is fairly experienced and did a good job on stretching the wrap. We found that after 8 or 9 months the wrap began to sag. From that experiment I now suggest to my clients that they drymout on foamcore instead of doing a wrap.

I can't really help on sizing issues since I don't print out of photoshop. As a Qimage user for many years I can only suggest you might invest this program. Once you have learned to use this you may find your work flow much easier. It is the only program I have found that keeps my registration easy for double sided printing.

Take Care
Mark Prins
Inanda Images
Whitehorse YT
Canada

Cem_Usakligil

I have moved away from doing wraps for canvas. The test prints we ran in April of 08 are 38x50 inch. We dry mounted one and wrapped the other. The framer I work with is fairly experienced and did a good job on stretching the wrap. We found that after 8 or 9 months the wrap began to sag. From that experiment I now suggest to my clients that they drymout on foamcore instead of doing a wrap.

I can't really help on sizing issues since I don't print out of photoshop. As a Qimage user for many years I can only suggest you might invest this program. Once you have learned to use this you may find your work flow much easier. It is the only program I have found that keeps my registration easy for double sided printing.

Take Care
Mark Prins
Inanda Images
Whitehorse YT
Canada
Hi Mark,

I second your opinions on QImage, I use it exclusively for printing and am quite satisfied.
Thx for the tip of dry mounting the canvas on foamcore, come to think of it, it makes a lot of sense.

Cheers,

Paul Caldwell

I have found canvas on Foamcore, will lead to problems, in that it's very easy to dimple it and once dimpled, the print is ruined. I am assuming that you are not putting the finals behind glass. I would instead recommend gatorboard. Considerably stronger, less warp, (which will also happen with larger canvas pieces, 30 x 45 or larger.

As for Qimage, I agree it's a very good program once you figure out the interface. However it won't fix the registration problems on canvas as that is a physical issue with the printer's feed. Epson has finally admitted this at least with their canvas and recommends a print feed adjustment of +50 for canvas. Epson 9800, 9880 and 9600. It's not as big an issue on the 24" printers, but still happens to some degree.

Next time you make a print, say a 24 x 36, where the 24" is the on the running length of the canvas. Check your print's final size, I will be surprised if it's not short of 24 but fine on the 36", since 36" was printed on the width of the canvas. I don't see how Qimage can fix this as it's can't control the physical output of the printer. Also, it's my understanding that Qimage is still using the Epson driver behind it's interface, as it's not a true RIP like Image Print.

Paul Caldwell

Doug Kerr

I can't really help on sizing issues since I don't print out of photoshop. As a Qimage user for many years I can only suggest you might invest this program.
I am not involved in the particular work described here, but I certainly can commend Qimage for (among other things) the straightforward way in which it allows the user to command the desired printed size of the image.

I almost never print out of editors.