Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > OPF Look, Feel, and Vibe

OPF Look, Feel, and Vibe Comments & suggestions to the site.

Old May 10th, 2013, 03:27 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Pictures from established galleries specializing in the photograph.

Leaving aside the notion of "Photography As Art", photographs sold in galleries represent a growing slice of the "Art Market", at least in the american continents and Europe.

I've bern receiving impressive pictures for some time from a number of outstanding Los Angeles. The images shown reflect a diverse assortment of periods and style, but are all of a quality or fame that command prices worthy of giving them wall or catalog space.

So I think it might be welcome here to be able to see fresh offerings to entertain and interest us and broaden our own perspectives. At the same time it might help to educate us as to what currently might sell and for how much.

So here are examples" First from the famous Fetterman Gallery:

This picture by Ormond Gigli's is said to be his "best photograph women in the windows in Manhattan
'The building was knocked down the next day................."

"...........The supervisor let us do it provided we cast his wife'" Read more of how this amazing picture came to be taken. here!

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:29 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen,

So what do you think of us having a picture each week from the Fetterman Gallery to discuss. OPF has no connection with the gallery, except they recognize me and check my umbrella, briefcase and under my shirt for pictures that slipped in by accident!

I hope we can have a good experience from these images. If you buy one, for sure, you'll enjoy it even more, but my intention is just to nudge our vision to a range of competent images that find favor in the market places I have access to.

If you support it, then we can do this and more.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:12 PM

What a great idea with a brilliant photo plus story to begin the series. Were the picture a Photoshopped fantasy the image would be outstanding, but the creativity in its actual implementation goes far beyond that.
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Stones View Post
What a great idea with a brilliant photo plus story to begin the series. Were the picture a Photoshopped fantasy the image would be outstanding, but the creativity in its actual implementation goes far beyond that.

They obviously didn't get permission from the fire marshal, LOL! They would never allow for so many random women with stiletto heels to suspend themselves on the edges of those openings! Considering the risk of accident is fixed for each window, the accumulative risk for untrained folk must be significant*! Is it better that it's "the truth" of what actually happened as to being constructed in photoshop. Is it the foolhardiness added to brilliant creativity that counts to give a "performance art" aspect to the picture that makes it so successful? IOW, the story is what gives the picture it's special value not just the esthetics of it. Or do the esthetics have many more added artistic dimensions because of the inherent danger of this amazing composition.

Asher

*If each girl was 99% safe from a serious fall then 37 of them would have a group risk of one serious fall for every 3 such shoots, approximately, assuming no training benefit of multiple shoots.

Old May 10th, 2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
So what do you think of us having a picture each week from the Fetterman Gallery to discuss.
Do they also sell pictures by young contemporary artists?
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
Do they also sell pictures by young contemporary artists?
That's a pretty good question!
[EDIT]This is not a selfish comment, I'm not young (in age) anymore! LoL![/EDIT]
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:39 AM

Jerome and Nicolas,

Well, it's great question. I'll be asking about that. I'll get a list of living artists represented, with their ages, from the galleries I frequent

Asher

Old May 11th, 2013, 12:46 AM

Would you lie us to have one picture a week from the Fetterman Gallery as a trial? Not sure they will give out prices. I can have another gallery with daily pictures and prices and the age if alive!

Asher