• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Call for feedback to enhance OPF experience!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks everyone for making OPF such a fine place to visti. We have developed a relaxed atmosphere with photographers from all over the world committed to the best images can meet, discuss, share or just hang out.

We are looking to improve the site to be even better. How can we do it? Here's you chance to remo9ve your goves, put on your thinking cap and say what you would like to find here. Our user experience has to be as wonderful as possible!

So we're asking for you to send in opinions, suggestions and requested new features lists so that we can plan our next steps with the wishes of the group in mind. I don't want to divert discussion from photography threads, so just post a simple note that you have contributed and email the wish list/criticisms/advice to editor.opfATmac.com, ..........where AT is replaced by @ of course.

Thanks for your help. If you wish to than any members in particular go ahead! I'd like to give my special apprecation to the entire administration team and each and every moderator for the dedication and efforts for OPF.

Asher

Ray West

Hi Asher,

I've been lightly playing with 'collaborative software' (a complex name for what the web is about), the very basic stuff. It would enhance many of our discussions, such as photo critique, where to stitch, art, most of the threads. I do not know how it would scale to a whole forum, or whether it would be useful if only a few used it. For example, the mk3 focus issues may be a suitable type of setting, where only a few are able to test.

Anyway, the easiest to use is, as far as I know, at http://thinkature.com/
It is very, very easy to use. However, I think you should enter into discussions with the authors, if you want to push this forum forward in the realm of sharing ideas. (I have no connection with them, other than playing with the free software.)

Simplicity is the key, but you will need to spend a minute or two, to get to understand what it is about, a minute or two to understand how to use it.

I am not certain as to the future of the particular site, hence my suggestion you contact them.

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

Ray,

What a great way of harvesting other peoples ideas! Looks great but I'd want encryption. This woul be a great C.I.A. ideas vacuum!

Joking aside, this is interesting. However, here, we just need to say, "Hi Asher, I'm send ing you a PM on using Flickr or PBase effectively" Then, in integrating suggestions we'll contact people, as needed, for group feedback. The idea now is merely to register that you are sending an idea.

Asher

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hi Asher,

i have a simple request. How about a live clock. Given that the posts have reference to the time they were posted. That reference is fine if you live in that time zone. Sure I could work it out but I am lazy.

Cheers,

Paul

Anil Mungal

Hi Paul,

The wording on the Control Panel implies that all times are adjusted to the time zone selected in the "Date & Time Options" on the Control Panel. Is that not the case for you?

Vivek Khanzode

Asher

How about a forum that has only images on a given subject. This would something along the lines of NO WORDS forum on photo.net.

It is always great to see different interpretations of the subject by photographers.

Asher Kelman

Hi Vivek,

So the pictures would not be commented on? Or would there be a button to give us an individual pop-up page of EXIF and comments for each picture?

Asher

Vivek Khanzode

Asher

The idea is that you "express" through the photos you upload without using words on any given subject. A button for showing EXIF would be nice but not a requirement. Nice, because some folks may be interested in the technical details of how the image was made. My primary goal would be to look at the photos with respect to the "subject".

-- Vivek

Angelica Oung

Asher,
My chief complaint is that I keep getting signed out from the site. I understand the necessity of having people sign in. In fact, I think it's really great that I know the real name of everyone I'm interacting with. But don't sign me out after five minutes when it takes me 10 to respond properly to a post. I also like to multitask, coming back to OPF after doing a few minutes of email or between phonecalls -- signed out again.

Asher Kelman

Hi Angelica,

OPF does not sign anyone out! I have no idea what is causing your problem. When you log in, click the box to remember your password. I'd clear your cache and see if the problem persist!

If so, send a PM to Nicolas Claris or Sean DeMerchant and a copy to me, please. If anyone else knows what's going on, that would be good to know!

Asher

Scott B. Hughes

I noticed early on that messages and threads are "moderated" excessively.

Sure, there is a time to move a thread, split off a wayward discussion, but there is a point where the content and meaning of messages can be interpreted differently when some of the previous messages have been removed.

I suggest a much lighter touch if for no other reason to avoid the possible "censorship" accusation.

You asked! :)

Asher Kelman

Sure, there is a time to move a thread, split off a wayward discussion, but there is a point where the content and meaning of messages can be interpreted differently when some of the previous messages have been removed.

I suggest a much lighter touch if for no other reason to avoid the possible "censorship" accusation.

Hi Scott,

This is a subject, that would for example go to a new thread. However, I'll address it here.

Deletions: We do not delete professional posts unless it is fresh and by the request of the poster. This has occured rarely, about 2-3 times altogether since we started OPF.

Non-Professional post (pharmaceutical spam etc) are deleted maybe 4-6 got through in one year. We filter all new refgistrants in the first place to keep OPF for photographers)

I have deleted only one post, TTBOMK, that of a commercial announcement, which I reposted as news, (we don't have commercials in the regular foru).

Recently we had to split up a contentious debate on weddings as it had developed into sub-topics,

1. An avaliable Wedding Photographer Course
  2. The Ethics of Being A wedding Photographer

Moderated Threads: These are the posts in Education and Seminars which have to be checked since we don't want anone to offer courses and scam people.

All the other fora are not moderated at all. Nothing is ever removed. We have no censorship.

If you have any other issues on this, let me know in a PM.

Asher

Vivek Khanzode

Scott

My experience is not quite the same. Actually I think this is a very healthy board where there is an outlet forum for "controversial" topics...something that most other boards would not allow. In fact, I have not seen a "censored" board so to speak.

-- Vivek