• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Odd logic.

Sid Jervis

pro member
On a recent trip to the USA I spent some time getting a few images of commercial aircraft.

My attempts were made from three commercial airfield perimeters in CA and NV.
On two occasions I was "asked" by the local security or the police what was I doing (it was no real hassle).
Once I told them what I was doing, they just parked the other side of the fence and watched me.
They gave up after about two hours, donut time I guess.

When using these airports for travel, I asked the local TSA man if taking pictures was OK, his reply was "no pictures near the screening centres, but everywhere else was OK, inside or out".

I am well aware of the homeland security issues (good and bad).
My question is have all US airfields implemented a restriction (or heavy police activity) on pictures from outside of airports?

Where do aircraft photographers go to get images in the USA, is an official air show the only place acceptable?

Alain Briot

pro member
Many "sensitive" locations are concerned with people photographing. Not just airport but government bldgs and many other places. Often the only way you find out is when you are told not to take photos, sometimes not very nicely unfortunately.

Sid Jervis

pro member
We do have the same issues in the UK, regarding buildings etc.
To be fair, there was never a big problem in the US (well I never noticed one).
In fact I asked for permission to shoot images at a open shopping arena (obviously a private property), the management were happy for me to do so. But asked if I could be out of the area before most people arrived at 10:00am.
Maybe the Americans I met, had been having a good day :)

I would certainly agree that when capturing images you need take notice of the rules.
I visited Ridgecrest, CA (China lake weapons testing area), the town is a great place, the whole area is actually very nice.
But you would have to be really dumb to capture images near the Naval base.

The local forces do make it very clear that even Canon cameras do not like high velocity incoming .223-calibre ammo. And as the camera is usually in front of your head, you have a clear answer to the question "can I take pictures here".

Alain Briot

pro member
Sid Jervis said:
We do have the same issues in the UK, regarding buildings etc.
I visited Ridgecrest, CA (China lake weapons testing area), the town is a great place, the whole area is actually very nice. But you would have to be really dumb to capture images near the Naval base.

Indeed, plus the base itself is really not photogenic. What I love is the rock art in the Coso Range. That's what I go to Ridgecrest for (I have been there 5 times and received several awards for my rock art photography). I have nothing against the base, and in fact know several persons who work and live there, but they would have to pay me good money to do a reportage on it!