• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

No cabin baggage allowed on UK flights

Sid Jervis

pro member
As of today 10th August 2006 NO cabin baggage will be allowed.
Nothing is allowed in your pockets.
You are not allowed any electronic equipment, no cameras, lenses, laptops.
Everything has to go in the hold.

You are allowed travel documents, passport, small wallet, prescription pills.

See home office site for current threat level.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/security/current-threat-level/

Contact your airline for details.

UPDATE

Carry on items.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/page/dft_about_612280.hcsp

This is a temporary measure.

Last edited:

Sid Jervis

pro member
The USA has increased it's alert level.
The BAA web site is now down.

Brussels airport and many airlines have ceased any flights to the UK today, due to congestion.
LHR is now not accepting any landings.
BAA at Heathrow are now saying people will not be able to fly today, even if they are at the airport.

That is about 186,000 people going nowhere. If you were going to the airport today, forget it.
The focus seems to be on all liquids being banned from flights.

Sid Jervis

pro member
Hopefully the restricted carry-on will not be with us for long, but there have been reports that Europe may adopt this as a standard procedure !
I guess we are still having to remove shoes, so who really knows.
I can guarantee that I will not check camera gear, that is too risky for me.

Tom Yi

soon we'll have to board planes naked with our bodily cavities open...
Just trying to intorject some humor to all this madness.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom Yi said:
soon we'll have to board planes naked with our bodily cavities open...
Just trying to intorject some humor to all this madness.

So Tom,

Years back I thought we'd eventually need to change to scrubs to get on a plane. Showering too and deodarant would make the whole thing more comfortable.

What are they going to do with colostomy patients? Not the current self-testing like for baby formula!

We need to be ahead of the curve to test for these chemicals in screening. We have the technology!@#@#!

If not, you're right, body searches or ultrasound!

Asher

Gary Ayala

My second immediate response (after pondering the state of our world), is "Man, what about my cameras...". There is so much risk, more by theft than damage, of losing one's gear when it is stored. I guess photo journalist's will either have gear waiting for them or perhaps sent via a different carrier (FedEX or DHL et cetera). Airlines/TSA must be working on some type of inspection/seal for expensive gear.

But I do appreciate the all-nude boarding requirement (I'll pass on the cavity inspection part) .. as long as I get to choose which females are likely terrorist suspects ... and their assigned seating.

-G-

Asher Kelman

Gary,

I was not joking! They'll need to have some ultrasound imaging for squirrelled away plastic bags of chemicals.

I think this was negligence on behalf of so called security experts who react not proact!

How stupid not to have this guarded against from the outset.

Each plane ought to have it's own FedEx plane with the baggage!

No clothes, just pink scrubs for the ladies and blue for the men, purple if you wish!

Asher

samdring

Camera in Hold

Is there really any difference in packing your cam in your hold luggage?
Have heard that the scan level is deeper for hold luggage - anybody ever done it?

Gary Ayala

Asher Kelman said:
Gary,

I was not joking! They'll need to have some ultrasound imaging for squirrelled away plastic bags of chemicals.

I think this was negligence on behalf of so called security experts who react not proact!

How stupid not to have this guarded against from the outset.

Each plane ought to have it's own FedEx plane with the baggage!

No clothes, just pink scrubs for the ladies and blue for the men, purple if you wish!

Asher

Nor was I ... well maybe ... but you are right ... scrubs or equal for clothing and ultra sound for "mules". I am surprised that a terrorist hasn't swallowed a belly full of explosives and ball bearings ...

Gary Ayala

samdring said:
Is there really any difference in packing your cam in your hold luggage?
Have heard that the scan level is deeper for hold luggage - anybody ever done it?

Any difference than from what? As a former photo journalist I used to travel tons ... always walked on board, camera bag over one shoulder cameras over the other. No packing whatsoever.

Asher Kelman

I bought those TSA locks and dutifully applied them to all my new luggage.

On arrival, the lock had been cut off and the bag was inspected!

So much for them having the key!

Looks like the rental houses are going to do well!

Asher

Sid Jervis

pro member
Seems like a good idea, maybe it is to support their bosses threat to sue the UK government!
Didn't he give them a 7 day warning?