• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

For Discussion: How much stem to include on a flower?

Rachel Foster

More and more, I am feeling dissatisfied with flower shots that do not include a fair amount of stem. Some work quite well without. For example, I think these work to a degree (the first one I'm very happy with, by the way):

smallroger.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Dancing with Roger on Valentine's Day

smalldaisiesindim.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Daisies in Dim Light

This one, though does not.

small4724.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Pink Daisies 1

More stem helps.

small4700.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Pink Daisies 2

Continued

Rachel Foster

And I'm considering even more stem to elongate the image.

small6007.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Pink Daisies 3

What determines how much stem is needed? I think I know, but thought it might be interesting to hear what others think.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Rachel,
I'm not very good at capturing the essence of flowers but I'll offer this:
I think the "amount of stem" is relative to what you are trying to express.
Pink daisies 2 and 3 are excellent examples of the flower as a whole and finely done (hence needing the stem).
However, the closeups of the white daisy in dim light and the pink daisy stand well upon their merit.
In these you were focusing our attention on the flower, ergo the stem becomes irrelevant.
I hope I'm making sense?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
More and more, I am feeling dissatisfied with flower shots that do not include a fair amount of stem. Some work quite well without. For example, I think these work to a degree (the first one I'm very happy with, by the way):

smallroger.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Dancing with Roger on Valentine's Day

You are happy with this one, Rachel? Hmm, I'm surprised. 'cause Im gaga about it! I thnk it's one of the most sensuous flower pictures I've seen. I'd say from this, you need no stems at all. However, sometimes the composition might need stems, but that is going to depend on how you build your picture.''

So the question you have posed cannot be answered except for a picture that has proportons and patterns that would be best completed, challenged, balanced or given more tension or magic by the length of the stems.

Asher

Rachel Foster

Exactly! But can we articulate the general guidelines?

By the way, since this post is about the abstract and not any of my images, I would welcome other images added to the thread.

Asher Kelman

Rachel,

Look at the flowers Challenge again in Themes. The pictures by Janet Smith have stems and just a few stems that are curved. With the flowers the composition is perfect.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Rachel,

The stems can often be awkward additions. It seems that they work better when there's an interesting irregular background OOF or some other vertical element to complement if it's just a single stem. For a bunch of stems, the way they are arranged seems to be important. It must add interest to the entire real estate of the frame. I agree that stems are a challenge where we easily come up short with justification for inclusion.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
The stems can often be awkward additions. It seems that they work better when there's an interesting irregular background OOF or some other vertical element to complement if it's just a single stem. For a bunch of stems, the way they are arranged seems to be important

Here are examples of mine, where the stems have been included, for me I only include stems if they have something to add to the photograph that is of interest, perhaps a graceful curve as in No 1, the OOF background is sufficiently interesting as in No 2 (I hope) and where the stems are carefully arranged as in No 3. Hope this helps...

IMG_0048SSA.jpg

IMG_1767cleanSS.jpg

IMG_0076ss.jpg

Jan

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
No rules

There are no rules but you want to see the framing, dof, the size of stem to leaves and color.

Just like with people, we don't need no stinking rules. Rules are made to be broken.

I LOVE the red Tulip that is selectively focused. I love some of the long stemmed flowers and others not so much. All of the first line applies.