• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some new paper and a couple of prints

Mike Shimwell

You may remember that I showed a series of pictures taken with a zone plate a few months ago. At the time I spent some time trying to find a UK source for Moab Unryu washi paper, that I wanted to print the pictures on. I then ordered some paper from a UK distributer in December and it arrived last week (!)

The paper is a japanese washi paper made from mulberry and with random strands laid in the paper. It is 55gsm and semi translucent. I've spent a couple of evening getting the paper profiled - made more difficult as it has fibres laid within it that confuse the spectro - and working out a suitable ink limit (lower than most heavier papers), finally getting something useful.

I've now printed two pictures on it and have photographed them hanging in order to also show the hangers that I'm using for this series. I've also included a couple of details to tryand show the strands in the paper and how they react to ink.

Please excuse the 50s barrel distortion.

Mike

4443390451_cce03a217c_o.jpg

4444162536_a26069315c_o.jpg

4443390089_3b31b535f2_o.jpg

4443391059_5f0391af83_o.jpg

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Mike,
I'll admit I had to scour Wiki and elsewhere in order to educate my dullard brain regading washi paper!
I'm slightly better informed now, but none the wiser...:)

These are truly delicate and beautiful images!
I cannot imagine how well they appear in print!
Very, very well done!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mike,

Judging papers on the web is next to impossible, one has to see and touch them. But this looks like a winning combo, right?

PS: What profiling device/sw did you use?

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Thank you everyone. Yes, I really like this paper for these pictures. Intereestingly it also works for some more 'straight' photos, but I think a bit of care is needed. I profiled it with the inbuilt spectro on the HP Z3100, but was getting to the point o breaking out the eye one as the first attempts were either a complete failure to build a profile or gave a very non-linear result. However, this profile, with reduced ink load seems to work pretty well.

MIke

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
4443390451_cce03a217c_o.jpg

4444162536_a26069315c_o.jpg

4443390089_3b31b535f2_o.jpg

4443391059_5f0391af83_o.jpg

Mike,

These are an outstanding match for the delicate sensibility of the zone plate images. I wonder whether they might look especially interesting trans-illumnated, like a stained-glass window.

Asher