• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Repair Experience at Canon CPS Irvine California

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
To drive to Canon CPS via Los Angeles side streets is foolish in the middle of the day! To have the map lady of a loaned Lexus decide which of these hidden roads to use is a really dumb idea. It took over 21/2 hours to get there when I could have simple gone home and connected to the highways I know! However, the myriad of speakers make the journey pretty surprisingly wonderful; a "trip".

One gets a ticket like in a busy camera store. Folk come in with digicams that dropped from a plane or a long lens that was delivered with peanut butter and similar stories yarns. One unfortunate guy had a piece of black light shrouding material come loose inside his 70-200 2.8L after the warranty was over. Ge wasn't consoled by the suggestion that mechanical things are really not immortal! I did feel for the nice fellow, a Brooks Student as I don't think it's right that expensive lenses should fall apart within the first 5 years, irrespective of warranty.

Anyway, I discovered that me old Macro Flash was no longer on their repair list. The 550 EX will be made like new for about $89. My 5D mirror will be replaced and mounted free of charge even though it's out of warranty. Apparently there's a notice about these things coming apart, so I got a free one on that. Replacing the CF removal button, however, was expensive, approx $180 or so. The desk assistants seem pretty knowledgeable and patient, going though all the options for repair.

They ship back overnight by FEDEX for free, so that is pretty good service. If one pays $100 a year for the Gold Priority Service, then one easily recovers this in the 30% discount of the assessed charges. Next year, when my 5D might need a new shutter and mirror box, I might go with the $500 Platinum service which gives one 50% off and more vouchers for lens cleaning.

I'd definitely recommend photographers who own the requisite numbers of pro bodies and lenses to join CPS. It's an excellent service. Although one does not have to go there oneself, it's reassuring to be able to have the technician assess some issue or even fix something there on the spot for free.

That happened with my 5D Mark II. One of the gold contact pins which is spring loaded, was stuck in the depressed position. That kind of thing makes the camera totally functionless! It was fixed at no charge and that meant I now could jump from the 8MP of my 1DII to 21MP full frame! I really felt great driving home on the freeway, listening to Classical Music and feeling I had just returned from Santa's workshop!

Hopefully, my 5D, the 24-105 and my 550 EX, all born again, will arrive wednesday with no further effort on my part!

Asher

fahim mohammed

The 550 EX will be made like new for about $89. My 5D mirror will be replaced and mounted free of charge even though it's out of warranty. Apparently there's a notice about these things coming apart, so I got a free one on that. Replacing the CF removal button, however, was expensive, approx $180 or so. The desk assistants seem pretty knowledgeable and patient, going though all the options for repair.

Hopefully, my 5D, the 24-105 and my 550 EX, all born again, will arrive wednesday with no further effort on my part!

Asher

Asher, that's excellent news. I am glad for you. Happy shooting.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Thanks for the report, Asher. Timely for me. I dropped my 580 EX last night, a mishap which resulted in the pull-out wide lens and small bounce being broken from their places. The flash works fine, but the parts are now stowable but no longer connected.

Hmmm...worth sending it for repair??.... Hmmm...not sure.

Joe Thomas

Sounds like quite an ordeal Asher. It sounds like you got quite a bit accomplished though. Did you take in your whole kit to be repaired? Lol. It sounds like you had quite a laundry list to be serviced by Canon. :) It is always nice to hear that Canon will acknowledge the things they believe are caused by them and will fix those things for free.

Are you happy with the service overall, now that I assume you have your gear back?

Asher Kelman

Sounds like quite an ordeal Asher. It sounds like you got quite a bit accomplished though. Did you take in your whole kit to be repaired? Lol. It sounds like you had quite a laundry list to be serviced by Canon. :) It is always nice to hear that Canon will acknowledge the things they believe are caused by them and will fix those things for free.

Are you happy with the service overall, now that I assume you have your gear back?

Joe,

I'm delighted that they are really human and straightforward. They give options and advised me not to get my shutter replaced on the 5D now when I have only 30% off but to wait next year and repair all my expensive things then at 50% off. It then becomes worthwhile to buy update my other 550 EX units as it will be so much cheaper.

My 5D, the 550 EX and 24-105 will be3 repaired by tomorrow under the 3 day provision for Gold level CPS membership and I should get them wednesday before 10 am shipped back free!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the report, Asher. Timely for me. I dropped my 580 EX last night, a mishap which resulted in the pull-out wide lens and small bounce being broken from their places. The flash works fine, but the parts are now stowable but no longer connected.

Hmmm...worth sending it for repair??.... Hmmm...not sure.
Ken,

I prefer the 550 EX as it does not cause radio interference with the Pocket Wizard as does the 580 EX II. I have never seen a practical benefit of the 580 EX II as the menus are just as clumsy IMHO. The type of menu that should be used is the kind the GXR has for everything that requires 2 wheels and one has access to everything in plan obvious diagrams.

The Canon flash display is not self evident!

Still the 550 EX with the ability to see the result in the tricolor histogram and LCD image works reliably. So I'd always repair a broken unit if I could. I'd love 10 of them

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well I had a surprise, the repaired 5D, 550 EX and the 24-105 came in one day early. The actual prices were as estimated, so there were no bad news of hidden damage. I'm so happy to have my gear back and working again. Of course i have to test everything, but at the moment I'm happy!

For $88 they replaced the shoe, the battery door, LED cover and the contact assembly inside, (as it was showing signs of corrosion). So it should be as good as new!

Asher