• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Free Amazing Orchestra Performance Saturday April 24th, Santa Monica, California

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A lot of you know my not-so-secret obsession with photography of the performing arts. The Colburn Orchestra is in my sights to photograph this Saturday Night. I'll have my brand new Sound Blimp to photograph during the performance so that's exciting! Then for the applause, I will use strobes to get the entire orchestra.

This is a wonderful opportunity for everyone in the general area of Los Angeles to experience talented musicians from the steppes of Asia to the orchards or the U.K and the Pampas of Argentina. They are joined by the language of music and the passion of working together to bring to life the music for us.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Royce Hall, UCLA Westwood Campus

See Google map here

Please call 213-621-2200 for more information.Free Admission

Yehuda Gilad, Music Director and Conductor
John Perry, pianist

Program:
Adams: The Chairman Dances
Respighi: The Pines of Rome
Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18

The Colburn Orchestra returns to west Los Angeles for a spectacular night of orchestral music. The Colburn School Conservatory of Music's flagship ensemble, the Colburn Orchestra, has performed throughout the greater Los Angeles area with such luminaries as Joshua Bell, Pinchas Zukerman, Cho-Liang Lin, and Leon Fleisher.

The April 24th program features John Adam's "The Chairman Dances" from Nixon in China, Ottorino Respighi's The Pines of Rome, and Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concert No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18

About the soloist

John Perry, professor, keyboard studies at The Colburn School Conservatory of Music, earned his bachelor's and master's degrees at the Eastman School of Music and was a student of Cecile Genhart. During those summers, he worked with the eminent Frank Mannheimer. Recipient of a Fulbright Scholarship, he continued studies in Europe for four years where he worked with Wladyslav Kedra, Polish concert artist and professor at the Akademie für Musik in Vienna, and Carlo Zecchi, renowned conductor, pianist, and head of the piano department at the Santa Cecilia Academy of Music in Rome.

Mr. Perry has won numerous awards including the highest prizes in both the Busoni and Viotti international piano competitions in Italy and special honors at the Marguerite Long International Competition in Paris. Since then he has performed extensively throughout Europe and North America to great critical acclaim. Also a respected chamber musician, Mr. Perry has collaborated with some of the finest instrumentalists in the world. He also enjoys an international reputation as a teacher, presenting master classes throughout the world. His students have been prize winners in most major competitions and include two first-prize winners in the Rubinstein, four first-prize winners in the Music Teacher's National Association national competition, and first-prize winners in the Naumburg National Chopin competition, Beethoven Foundation competition, the Federated Music Clubs, and the YKA, AMSC, and YMF competitions, and finalists in the Chopin International in Warsaw, the Van Cliburn, the Queen Elisabeth, Busoni, Viotti and the Three Rivers competitions.

In addition to his position at The Colburn School, Mr. Perry is also visiting artist teacher at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto, a professor of music at USC Thornton School, the Idyllwild School of the Arts in Idyllwild, California, and frequent guest faculty at the Banff Center in Alberta, Canada. During the summer he is an artist-teacher at the Aspen Music Festival and School, the Sarasota Music Festival, the Holland Music Sessions, as well as visiting faculty at other national and international music festivals. His recordings are available on the Telefunken, Musical Heritage Society, CBC, ACA and Fox labels.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Rats!

Too bad I have been crazed. Lots of work happening.

Some great pieces. Frank would have loved it. Instead we saw Little Shop of Horrors and we left at Intermission. :-(

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sorry we missed you Kathy. There were masses of people. You could have told me you were there, LOL! This was a splendid performance. I'll be posting pictures shortly. Was great to have my 5DII back from Canon and working with Pocket wizards and not cords for my Lumedyne Strobes.

Asher