• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Rokton Circular Image Sensor

Rokton (a company Ive never heard of before, nor anybody else apparently, as they do not even have a Wikipedia entry) has developed something I've long been wondering about as a unique capability a digital camera could have over a (roll) film-based one: A circular image sensor:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1004/10040101roktonsensor.asp

Assuming the software is up to it, the possibilities are very powerful. Now, I don't think the world will all of the sudden start putting up circular images, and there are not a single (that I know of) circular digital image format (all of them are grids of pixels), but the prospect of capturing a circular RAW file with double the amount of pixels as a typical square image, and cropping later, is quite compelling.

What do you guys think? Who (which camera manufacturers) will use this? And what will it be good for?

I am surprised at the amount of inovation we are seeing in digital cameras over the past two years or so, it's as if the marketplace has come alive with new ideas.

Last edited by a moderator: