• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Heroic Acts! Here's a story to inspire, Nanny walks on 400 degrees fire for a child!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's a story to inspire us about the best of humanity. A 22 year old Nanny is awoken to find the house on fire and a 5 year old child trapped upstairs.

Picture 10.png

WLKY.com picture Alsyson Myatt

Picture 8.png

Picture 11.png

Picture 12.png

Picture credits David Mills WLKY.com

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
She is now in hospital suffering sever burns of her hands and feet. Having no cell phone, she had to drive to a neighbors house and the little boy rang the bell to summon help while Alsyon tried to get relief for her sererely burn feet on the colo grass.

Picture 11a.png

"Before I ran, I was calling for him. And he said, Ali I'm in here! I'm in my room underneath my covers! So I ran there, grabbed him and ran out. And he was screaming," Myatt said.
The only way out of the house on Goldenrod Court was to go back through the flames.
"It was like I was walking on goo because all of the skin on my feet was burned off," Myatt recalled from her hospital bed."
Source

Post pictures of heroism that you come across. This happens nor because people are unafraid but becasue of sheer love for a fellow soul.

Asher

Damien Paul

Surely people remember Sam the Koala:

Sam-the-Koala-shares-wate-001.jpg

Photo credit: Mark Parden

The article that the picture comes from is here. This article was written when Sam passed away.

She became a symbol of the devastating Black Saturday Fires that tore through my homestate of Victoria, Australia.

173 men, women and children perished, 1,000's of home destroyed and 1,000's of people displaced, entire towns were wiped off the map, including a place so very close to my heart and the source of many happy memories - Marysville - totally destroyed (and 4 people I knew there did not make it out of the fires). Every one was touched by the tragedy, so much so that a few weeks later, a National Day of Rememberance was held.

But, it also showed the Australian character and the strength of our friends overseas.

10,000's of volunteer firefighters braved the hellstorm to save lives and homes - one made the ultimate sacrifice. We had volunteers from all over the country and from Indonesia, USA and New Zealand - a gracious act that will never be forgotten.

The Australian Army mobilised and made shelter for those whose homes and lives were shattered. The Red Cross and local Radio stations reached out and brought separated loved ones back together.

I remember listening to the local online radio station, as I am many 1000's km away here in Japan. I heard many many people crying, terrified about their loved ones - then calling back with the news that they have found their loved ones. Sadly, this was not always the case.

Later, the fundraiser was held to help those in need, Australians there and abroad reached deep into their pockets (I know I did), and for a nation of only 22 million, the citizens raised over 100 million dollars.

The towns are being rebuilt - they will rise again, including my beloved Marysville.

So, back to the picture - a battler (Sam the Koala) and a Volunteer (the firefighter) symbolises the true heroism and courage by so very many in the hellstorm that was Black Saturday - 7th February, 2009

and is symbolic of the hero within all of us.