• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1DS Mark II, now which computer?

Greg Compton

I recently moved up to the 1DS Mark II, now it has slowed my computer quite abit. I need to update mine anyway. What should I go for? I just use it for photography and internet use, no gaming. Thanks for your input and help. I believe I am going to like this site. Thanks again. Greg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Greg,

Are you looking for advice on ready made computers such as those supplied by Apple, Dell, HP, or do you want to receive advice on the components of a possible system? I assume the latter and will try to reply accordingly.

For a computer that will just do photo processing (DAM, Editing, Publishing), certain components of the system are crucial:

Processor:
Go for an Intel Core 2 Duo processor based system, they are currently the fastest processors and beat AMD processors hands down in many (if not almost all) benchmarks. Their prices are relatively cheap compared to the value and performance they deliver. I reckon that a E6400 (which is running on a clock speed of 2,13 GHz with a 2MB L2-cache) should be more than enough for regular photo editing activities. If you are going to (batch) process 100s of RAW files in one go and the timing is important, then go for a E6600 instead. E6700 is only marginally faster (plus 0.23 GHz) but costs 200 bucks more so I don’t recommend it.

Memory:
Normally, for a system like this, 2 GB of main memory is sufficient. If you want to open many files in Adobe and process them using many layers, the memory requirements grow exponentially. In that case, it is wiser to go for 4GB (depending on your motherboard, try using 2x2GB sticks instead of 4x1GB ones with extension in the future in mind). Mind you, if you are going to run Windows XP (32-bit version) on the PC then the applications will only see up to 3 GB (after using a tweak in the registry). If you will be running XP-64 or later Vista, then there are no limits.

Graphics Card:
Any decent, middle of the road graphics card will give you excellent results, as long as it has 2xDVI outputs. I’d recommend something like GeForce 7600 GS or 7600 GT cards with 256 MB memory. If you choose a “silent” version, you can even reduce the noise of the system a bit.

Hard disks:
This is where it gets nasty. How large is your data, and do you want to keep all of it on-line in this system? What kind of backup schemes you’ll be putting into use? Are the limitations as to the acceptable noise and heat generated by the system? So the answers will vary.

For a middle-of-the-road solution, I’d recommend using 2 SATA drives, 300-500 GB capacity each. If your space requirements are not that high, you might consider running the drives in RAID-1 configuration (mirrored). This does still not relieve you of the obligation of making off-line backups though :).

For a really high end solution, get yourself a decent RAID card with an on-board processor. I recommend among others cards from Areca, LSI Logic or HighPoint Rocket Raid (which does not have an independent processor but is fast enough). If you are on a tight budget, consider using the RAID controller of your motherboard, but beware that they won’t deliver top performance with RAID 10 , 5 or 6 (which is mostly not available anyway).
Next buy 2xRaptor 10,000 RPM drives and install them as RAID 1 for your OS.
For the data, buy 4 (plus) x SATA disks with capacities of 300 GB or more. You can combine them either as RAID 10 (faster, but the capacity is lower) or RAID 5 (slower, but less loss of capacity).

If you go for the high-end solution, you should also pay attention to other factors such as:
- the PC/server case/enclosure (big tower, lots of room, air flow, etc)
- Adequate cooling
- Power supply with enough capacity to provide stability
- Noise reduction
- Optional power surge device or UPS

Monitor:
1 x 24” (plus) LCD Monitor with 1900x1200 resolution or
2x 20” (plus) LCD Monitors with 1680x1050 (plus) resolutions
Pay attention to the fact that not all LCDs allow you to calibrate them. Also, the capability of displaying a wide gamut of colours, providing even lighting and good contrast, showing neutral colours, etc, are rather important, as you possibly know already :).

Well, I guess this is it for the time being. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Cem

Edited to replace "Seagate Barracuda 10,000 RPM" with "Raptor 10,000 RPM". It must have been a momentary lapse of reason :)

Last edited:

Rob.Martin

Cem has great advice!!!

I've had a AMD X24400 for a while, 2GB RAM. It smokes with C1.
I also use, with a 30" Monitor to the side, a MacBookPro with 2Gb RAM. It smokes also. When the Core2Duo comes out for it, I'll upgrade.
Speed is everything when working with 000's of images. In my opinion.

Rob

Nill Toulme

I built a system somewhat similar to what Cem recommends back earlier in the year, and it does very well with C1 (about nine seconds for 1D Mark II conversions). It's a dual core AMD Athlon 4800 with 4GB RAM, a single 10,000 RPM 160GB Raptor OS/apps drive (that clones to an internal PATA drive for backup), and an internal 1.1TB RAID5 consisting of four 400GB Hitachi SATA drives (chosen because I already had three of them lying around) running off the ASUS mobo's onboard RAID controller. It backs itself up to two external Seagate 400GB firewire drives, which in turn back themselves up periodically to another 750GB external Seagate that I keep offsite. Monitor is a 20" 1600x1200 NEC 2090uxi calibrated with an Eye One Display 2 and NEC's Spectraview II software (which calibrates the monitor's internal 12-LUTs directly).

This is all working well, although, being six months old, I guess it's pretty much obsolete. ;-) I think it was a lot of bang for the buck all around though.

I'm still running XP Pro, haven't made the move to 64-bit yet.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Greg Compton

Cem, this sounds good. What do you think of the HP M7680N model with a better video card? Or, do you think I might be better off going with a laptop to go with me? Thanks for your help and input.