• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Using your camera to do good in your community

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
There are so many ways our craft can impact others and we can practice our skills at the same time.

About two weeks ago, I was selected (I had to apply to volunteer - that's a different soapbox) as photographer (unpaid!) for a pet rescue fair at the local Animal Shelter. They will use my photos with credit for next year's event. I just got the tally and 128 dogs, cats and some other pets found homes because of this event. Next year, it will be bigger and more homes will be found, hopefully. The news made my day. I've done some other photography that will be used for charity publicity as well.

Do we have a responsibility to do that for our community? Are any of you going out there and using your time, gear (and that is money!) to fill a need that will benefit others in some way?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There are so many ways our craft can impact others and we can practice our skills at the same time.

There are two points here. The first, "practice our skills is something that will help photographers making the transition from one branch of work to another. For example the macro-enthusiast or professional portrait or sports photographer can face the challenges of event photography by providing some free services for a charity or in need community. The social dynamic of each specialty are so different and the photography has it's own demands that it's worthwhile taking on some pro bono work, just to be exposed to new challenges.

Also this type of work gives a lot of personal satisfaction.

Still, one can make money on the sale of prints beyond the ususal immediate needs of the cash-strapped charity. Often the guests can pay for the prints without problems.

Further, one can make new contacts and people often ask for your card and this is a perfect way for getting new clients.

So while one is helping out, one gets rewarded with satisfaction, some sales and potential new work!

Caveat: If the charity is well endowed and the project professional run with high level staff etc, a full professional fee should be negotiated. After all, these events are plannned with high cost tickets knowing they will pay all the professionals (caterer, band, entertainement, hotel publicity etc. Maybe the wine will be donated by a vineyard or the Vodka by a famous company wanting publicity, but these guys are far richer than working photographers! :)

Asher

Pro Bono work

I too take pictures for a local animal rescue organization to help find homes for needy pets. If it involves more than a little of my time (1 hr), I send an invoice charging my customary rate, with a discount that offsets the charge.

I figure that by invoicing at full retail, I might be able to claim a charitable contribution (in kind) on my taxes next year. And it give the organization the idea that they are getting professional services, not just "someone doing a freebie."

BTW, my invoice specifies certain, limited usage rights. Just because they get files, doesn't mean they get any kind of rights free deal.

Nill Toulme

I pretty much started out this way. For several years, all proceeds of my print sales went straight to the organizations (schools/clubs/church/scouts) sponsoring the events I was shooting. I think I raised about $25k for them in total that way. Now that I've gone pro, I donate a portion to some of the orgs, but only the church still gets 100% of its respective proceeds. The church portion of my website is here.

...I figure that by invoicing at full retail, I might be able to claim a charitable contribution (in kind) on my taxes next year.

Charles, unfortunately I'm about 98% certain that won't fly. Consult your tax advisor.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Tax Advice

Well, since there is a CPA in my suite, I can say that services are not considered charitible contributions to the IRS since your services cost you nothing. But PRODUCTS are tax deductible. You would need a receipt for contribution of materials.

Yes, there is definitely a limited use issue for the copyright. Also, fair to say, that in exchange, I was allowed to set up a small table to show my photographic skills and wares. I used some pet portraits, added some text as a handout, with business cards and did a big one as a sign, framed, matted and on a gallery stand.

Marian Howell

my photography got me connected with my local lands trust, and it took off from there. i became a board member, and my work for them is not charged, but the exposure brought (and continues to bring) sales to my non-land trust prints. i've gotten jobs based on my work there, and we've conserved over 1100 acres so far!

I haven't used photography to help charitable organizations but I will. What I do sometimes is read Tarot cards for groups of (mainly) women, charge $20 a reading, and give the proceeds to our local humane society or another charitable group. Anyone out there want their fortune told? :)

Steve Saunders

I do this sort of thing regularly for my own community association (as opposed to a charity) as it's grossly underfunded by the government. I shoot some of the community events and get them published in the newspapers and local rags. I've had quite a lot of paid work as a result of this, so it does help by letting people know who you are.