• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kata camera bags

Paul Bestwick

pro member
I buy most of my gear from the USA. The savings are huge & I have access to many products that are not available in my location.
An item I have come across is a camera bag made by a company called Kata. I had never heard of them before. I prefer to carry all my gear in the one bag & up to date have used a Lowepro Commercial AW.

A purchase I have just made is about to arrive & due to the size will make my Lowepro redundant.
The difficulty I have of course is that I can't handle a Kata bag to make a better informed decision.
Therfore, I am relying on a bit of feedbak & help on OPF. Anyone here like to offer any advice

ron_hiner

kata bags

I ordered 5 kata bags from some on line vendor (B&h I think) with intent of just looking and feeling and touching, then intending to send at least 4 of them back.

Every one of them was great! I kept a backpack style bag that is my main bag now. I like the fact that the interior is bright yellow -- it keeps things from getting lost, and its easy to see when its dirty. (I don't use lens caps much, instead I use protective filters, so it's important that in interior of my bag is spotlessly clean.)

It carries very well with tons of weight in it. (Pro body, 70-200 lens, 4-5 other lenses and flashes) and its easy to attach a tripod to as well.

I have dozens of camera bags -- including a bunch of lowepro bags -- and Kata is the one I go to most often.

I also really like ThinkTank products -- I seem to be using their stuff more and more when I don't need the Kata backpack.

Ron

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Kata Holster

I have a Kata Holster bag. It is triangular shaped, has two zippered lens pockets on the sides of the main. Although it isn't made to wear with the strap across your body and the bag in front (it's made to wear as a shoulder bag) I do wear it that way and I am totally hands free for shooting, it's got plenty of room for the 70-200 on one side, the 24-70 on the other and a 50 on the body of my 5D. I alternate using that with a Lowepro Sling when I am walking around. I was searching for the perfect bag for travel or street shooting or even for a wedding to have on body. It's very well constructed too. I have more camera bags than handbags (lol)

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Thanks people. Ok, I am a bit stuck. I like the Kata BP502. (http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=260&cid=28&perentId=4&ProdLine=40)

I am just unsure of the possible configuration potential.

Ideally I would like to keep a body with the 300 f2.8 attached & another body with 16-35 2.8 attached so they face lens ends facing. In addition to other lenses/flashes etc. Think it might fit but I am not sure.

Alternatively there is the Think Tank Airport Addicted. (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtAddctd.php)

That will fit the works.

Any clues ????

Thanks,

PB

Jason Winters

I've just started using the ThinkTankPhoto products... I'm impressed! I'm now using the speedbelt and the speed harness, and the only thing I haven't figured out how to carry (easily!) is my tripod! I'm still using a sling-style backpack for the tripod, though I'm experimenting with various types of connections to my belt. It's always possible I'll figure out how to connect the tripod to the speed harness...

And the customer service from TTP is fantastic... They had a glitch in the order system, and I needed some stuff for an upcoming shoot. I called them, they not only overnighted me the equipment (at their cost!) but included an extra piece because they were out of stock on the one set I ordered, so they used the next size set and included separate pieces to change it to what I ordered.
I'll be sending the extra parts back, but how often do you have companies go to that extreme to make sure a new customer gets it done? And the quality is incredible... Every bag has it's own integrated rain shield, including the water bottle holder!

Jason

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hi Jason,

fantastic service to match their outstanding products.

yes I ended up getting the Glass Taxi. This will hold my 300 f2.8 with body attached.
It is really well made & perfectly designed to hold that setup very snug & securely.

Still have not decided on a final solution for my entire kit but given that the Think Tank gear is so good I will probably get more.

Cheers,

PB

Robert Groom

[...]
Still have not decided on a final solution for my entire kit but given that the Think Tank gear is so good I will probably get more.

I couldn't agree more, Paul. I just purchased three Think Tank products -- Airport Acceleration, Urban Disguise 50 and Cable Management 50 -- and the build quality is just superb.

I ordered them from the NatureScapes.net online store in the USA and they were delivered to my front door in Melbourne, Australia five days later via USPS Express Mail International.

Have a look at the Airport Acceleration for your "entire kit". It's exactly the right size for the more restrictive carry-on baggage regulations here in Australia.

Robert