• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Living room shoot out.

Paul Bestwick

pro member
yep the great living room shoot out of 2007. Here is mine........... lets see your pad !!!

living.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KrisCarnmarker

A view to be envious of! What a treat it must be to wake up and see that every day.

But it would wreak havoc on my carefully tuned speaker/room interaction :)

Once I get the vacuum cleaner out, I'll share my current, rather lackluster, LR. In the meanwhile, here's part of my LR in my abode in Saudi (4 years ago)

livingroom3.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A view to be envious of! What a treat it must be to wake up and see that every day. But it would wreak havoc on my carefully tuned speaker/room interaction :)

livingroom3.jpg

Just balance the room for two settings. Closed and open windows. After all, your walls are hard, reflective and rectilinear. There's no corner treatment. If you can get great sound with that you can do splendidly with the windows open. One might need to work on it a while! That's where wine is very useful. BTW could you get it in Saudi?

Maybe a second set of outdooor speakers, LOL!

Asher

KrisCarnmarker

Just balance the room for two settings. Closed and open windows. After all, your walls are hard, reflective and rectilinear. There's no corner treatment. If you can get great sound with that you can do splendidly with the windows open. One might need to work on it a while! That's where wine is very useful.

Well, it depends on the material the walls are made of. Gypsum, for example, while a PITA in most respects, are actually quite good low bass absorbers. But the room in the pic is untreated, and hardly a good model. So no corner treatment, but the large size of the room prevented any irritating bass resonances. Of course, it could have done with a lot of mid and high freq. absorbers and diffusers, as it was like sitting in a cathedral sometimes :)

BTW could you get it in Saudi?

Get what? Room treatments? Sadly, no. Can't get it here either.

Maybe a second set of outdooor speakers, LOL!

You know? That's the only thing Bose has ever done that's quite good. Outdoor speakers. There, now I got my obligatory Bose Bashing done. The most overrated products the planet has ever seen :)

Paul Bestwick

pro member
is that it..... Kris & me, no one else has a living room. I thought it may be a bit of fun.
Lots of tech talk here but must confess I aint seeing much action.

Asher Kelman

is that it..... Kris & me, no one else has a living room. I thought it may be a bit of fun.

We always enjoy your posts. Sometimes, one person does the picture posting in his thread. Here we do need other fun shots too. It's very interesting to be invited to dfifferent homes.

As Kris points out, some of us are shy to sahow a room that needs vacuuming or picking up stuff. You are so neat and your living room and Studio 58 shows it! Others might be scared of a robbery. Photographers on opther fora and Jack Flesher, TTBOMK, had expensive cameras and stolen after having them listed at the bottom of postsd in the FM fashion.

Still, I'm sure we'll get many more posts. Sometimes pictures take a while to spark a continuous stream of really good images. Don't give up! This is still the vacation period and super hot in the USA with a lot of guys and families by the pool or coast.

I'll get some pictures posted I hope you'll like!

We can also post how one uses one's living room for shoots for those choose to!

Asher

Asher Kelman

We always enjoy your posts. Sometimes, one person does the picture posting in his thread. Here we do need other fun shots too. It's very interesting to be invited to dfifferent homes.

As Kris points out, some photographers might have very modest homes, others shy to show a room that needs vacuuming or picking up stuff. You're so neat and your living room and Studio 58 shows it! Others might be scared of a robbery. Jack flesher had his cameras stolen after having it listed below his name. There are a myriad of reasons why a particular subject is slow to get traction.

Still, I'm sure we'll get many more posts in this thread. Sometimes pictures take a while to spark a continuous stream of really good images. Don't give up! This is still the vacation period and super hot in the USA with a lot of guys and families by the pool or coast.

I'll get some pictures posted I hope you'll like!

We can also post how one uses one's living room for shoots for those choose to!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Here's mine

We have a catwalk/hallway upstairs with an open ceiling to our living room. My home office/den is a loft. All natural light - no flash - iso 400!

large.jpg

Paul Bestwick

pro member
wow Kathy, what a lovely home yo must have if that shot is a clue to the rest of it. How interesting to gat a peek into our fellow forum members worlds.

Asher Kelman

wow Kathy, what a lovely home yo must have if that shot is a clue to the rest of it. How interesting to gat a peek into our fellow forum members worlds.

Well Paul, this is all thanks to your friendly and fun idea!

I hope we get a lot more OPFers brining us into their world!

Don Lashier has opened a new aspect of this, what one sees when one looks out the window! He looks at the Pacific Ocean from the Seattle Coast.

Asher

Don Lashier

> from the Seattle Coast

Wow Asher - you've got me mis-placed by 500 miles! I'm on the central Oregon coast (Newport). btw when the fog lifted today both the power buoy and the buoy tender were nowhere to be seen. Evidently had some problem and towed it back to port.

- DL

Asher Kelman

OMG!

Poor navigation! Damn, I guess I shouldn't have been sailing around with no sleep. I worked till 4:30 am trying to catch up with delivery of a big shoot and also had to get up at 8am to catch the light for an indoor shoot with the early sun!

I guess this means that I have to look you up on the map and see what there is to visit there!

Now I'm also going to get a map of "Down-Under" to see were Hobart is!

Asher

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Thanks, Paul - My home is very small by California standards but it is mine and each thing I have has some history for me. All my furnishings are "dog proof" since they share it all with us and they are allowed on the furniture. I will have to find a photo of Daisy, my Cairn terrier, on her "throne" on the back of the sofa.

Living rooms

Our is in a constant state of turmoil, and the view is IN not OUT to the infinite prospects that God provides outside. The living room is under daily revision, as a result of two architects, now aged 7 and 10, plus their friends. Here's the scene in Jerusalem late last spring:

80010445.jpg

No high powered music reproduction system, alas, but there is a nice piano offstage to the right of that shot.

The architect effect can also be seen in our current living room in Brookline, MA, where we are living for a year, doing fine with only stuff that we can sell in a year to whoever moves in after we go home:

82250954.jpg

In this one, the kids got up before their parents and decided to play library. The rest of the series is in the Friends and Family gallery of my pbase account.

scott

Scott, yours is a true *living* room, for sure.... love to see it!

(Another fun touch: IKEA seems to have come to Jerusalem).

Thanks.

IKEA is actually located half an hour north of Tel Aviv, a little over an hour from us, but that's where the couches came from. The Brookline living room is a mixture of sidewalk, yardsale and IKEA, and was purchased from an Israeli family before us. I guess IKEA matches our preferred spending level.

scott

Per Ofverbeck

Actually, it was the book-laden chair and the book-depleted shelf in the background that put me on the track...

In most cases, IKEA means excellent value for the money. Furniture shouldn´t be treated as heirlooms, but used and updated when necessary