• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

We post our own pics but won't comment on everyone elses! Why?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ken,

I'll not pour my bottle of sparkling water into the rapids either!

Here are the points where I'd offer necessary guidance.

Snap shots: These are social, fun and belong only in the Layback Cafe.

Finished Professional images, exhibitons, awards, published series:
These are welcome, needed, appreciated and valuable as is!

They say, "If these standards are met, one might earn you a living". Here the Pro is generously sharing and we all can benefit.

Kudos is welcome. Critique might not. That's why poster must give a context please! John Maio has for example posted Professional headshots with character, as delivered, for which he get paid, so these are helpful examples for people to reference perhaps.

Work as Art: Put it in that forum! Say the what, when and why and how behind it. Then expect critique and be prepared for it. Also say Edit or Dont Edit!!

Work for processing in some way: Again guide us!

Challenges and Retouch: These provide threads where approaches to photographing or processing can be exchanged. These are therefore both social and educational.

Technic/gear illustrations: That's welcome, just make it succinct and make sure it works.

Asher Kelman

Ken Tanaka said:
The best site for general photo critique I've seen is Craig Tanner's Radiant Vista. Craig offers video-based critiques of a new image each day. (I have no idea how he's managed to do this for so long, but often wonder if it might not be the result of some criminal conviction <g>.) Despite many of the images being, yes, very cliché Craig has an excellent and consistent style of approaching the evaluation of each image. Watching him do his thing is almost hypnotic. You may not always agree with him but I guarantee that you'll watch more than one video.
Ken

I agree he works hard and his effort and energy is unique. I have not consistently followed him but do find his writing interesting and one can learn from his approach. Glad you gave the link!

Ken Tanaka said:
I'm done!

I hope not! :)

Asher

Jim Shadforth

How long does it take to get comments posted? I sent one a couple of days ago, and still don't see it. I was wondering if it wasn't posted because it was negative in nature (though respectfully so).

Jim Shadforth

Cem_Usakligil

How long does it take to get comments posted? I sent one a couple of days ago, and still don't see it. I was wondering if it wasn't posted because it was negative in nature (though respectfully so).

Jim Shadforth
Hi Jim,

I am confused a bit. What do you mean by "sent one a couple of days ago"? Did you post a reply to a thread and it did not appear immediately, is that what you're saying? If so, it is strange since it should have. We do not have a mechanism in place to screen posts before they appear on the forums. Sometimes, a thread gets moved or pruned (under exceptional circumstances) but even then you should have seen your post appear when you pressed enter to start with.

Regards,

Clunky Experience

Asher,

I think an at least partial explanation of post-reluctance is related to the experience of viewing a picture and then having to sort through the politics of your comment before posting rather than just being able to pass judgment and move on?

I have the privilege of being able to pass judgment, anonymously, on other peoples photos because the Pentax Photo Gallery allows accepted artists to give feedback on entries in the form of a thumbs up/thumbs down fashion.

I think it would be a great experience to come here and have a similar experience. I would like to go to a gallery of submissions and rate a photo, say, from 1 to 5 and OPTIONALLY leave a short comment or two on what I like or dislike. I could rip through many images and stop for the ones I had clear thoughts on.

As Nicolas said, part of the problem is bandwidth, the other is nothing relevant to say, but we surely know if we like or dislike!

So, does a voting gallery appeal to you or anyone?

Allen Maestas

Nahh, people just don't like to take the time, period. I for one hope to contribute a lot here, because so far I like what I see!

Al

Asher Kelman

I have the privilege of being able to pass judgment, anonymously, on other peoples photos because the Pentax Photo Gallery allows accepted artists to give feedback on entries in the form of a thumbs up/thumbs down fashion.

I think it would be a great experience to come here and have a similar experience. I would like to go to a gallery of submissions and rate a photo, say, from 1 to 5 and OPTIONALLY leave a short comment or two on what I like or dislike. I could rip through many images and stop for the ones I had clear thoughts on.

So, does a voting gallery appeal to you or anyone?
I would like to discuss this with Nicolas for the Galleires we are planning. However I have no formed opinion as yet, but I do find it intriguing. Is there not abuse? Are people not easily given low rating for political reasons?

Is there potential for abuse? Yeah, I suppose there is. Additionally, everyone has their bias. However, at the Pentax Gallery the final decision is not made by vote, it is only a part of a screening process and most are honest about their passion for good photography.

As I posted before, I found the experience of "voting" on someone else's photos a satisfying learning experience. I think I am able to judge my own work better as a result. I've often wanted to let the photographer know why I didn't think their photo was up to par because sometimes its a simple thing that might be remedied!

Arya Wiese

I like to receive insight on what others see in my images - be it technical or emotional and what draws their eye in or not. I want to know what is liked or disliked about my image and why. Knowing some of the why's can really help me to develope/refine my style a bit more. I am not very good with words so when I comment I try not to leave "I like it - Great job" and try to leave why as well. I am not the most tech savy so I may not see all that stuff but I do know if I like something or not and usually why.

I hope that I can contribute in some way - if not at least you will know if I like or don't like a work and why if I choose to post.

Will_Perlis

"Is there not abuse? Are people not easily given low rating for political reasons?"

Asher,

I suggest you scan photo.net for a sample of the endless stream of posts regarding ratings. They're mostly along the lines of "How come I got a 3 for my masterpiece?", "You dirty Venusians oppressed us Martians four centuries ago!, and "Those filthy Martians are biased against us Venusians!", etcetera ad nauseam.

Will

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Subjective

I would not like to see a rating system here. The dialogue here is intelligent and meaningful. A number tells me nothing (of course if it's on a financial statement that is a whole other topic).

Opinions about art are subjective. Rules are there but made to be broken. What is my five star might be one star for you. Technical issues are a different matter.

A number tells me nothing

Ahh... but it could! At the very least my 3 out of 5 rating lets you know that I don't dislike it, but I don't like it that much either!

Also, for the IDEA to work, there doesn't have to be a rating system per se. For instance, it could just be a thumbs up/thumbs down vote.

Some kind of rating provides more feedback than "35 views; no replies", no?

Mind you, this wouldn't have to replace people starting a thread with a picture for discussion either. It could be an ALTERNATIVE. Perhaps a separate forum or a set of galleries where your image "gets into" the 5-Star, 4-Star, 3-Star gallery ? Also, perhaps it could be integrated into the thread options somehow? Rather than view and leave no feedback, punch a button to leave a vote (1-5, thumbs up/down)

The AGGREGATE OPINION of a skilled set of individuals is valuable feedback! Also, unless you've had the experience its hard to communicate, but the process of "judging" or "ranking" the work of others can provide a meaningful learning experience. I know it helps me by giving me a process to evaluate my own work more objectively.

I hope this is not Photo.net! Can it be different here?

If I submit a picture for discussion and people want to rate it low, I would not whine about my masterpiece. I either like it or I can admit it needs work!

janet Smith

pro member
Some kind of rating provides more feedback than "35 views; no replies", no?

Hi Ed

I agree completely.... I think if enough people were to vote it would provide valuable feedback as to the general concensus of opinion, and could be a way for those who are reluctant to leave feedback that they feel could be interpreted in a negative way to do so without feeling they may cause offence. As you say, maybe just thumbs up or down, or marks 1-5 or whatever system was decided upon. Well it get's my thumbs up - nice one!