• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"The technology assets of Pixmantec ApS have been acquired by Adobe"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Harrison

pro member
interested yes

but I don't see it as a good thing. Is there no competition anywhere???? I guess the best thing to do is sell up RSP and portfolio and get lightroom when it arrives. It really was a great program, kinda sad to see it die like that.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
That explains a lot about developments during the past few weeks. And it leaves us with some highly interesting questions:

1. Will Corel still bundle RS|e?
2. Since Lightroom originally was built around ACR - will LR Windows beta still be coming this side of New Year's Eve?
3. Will ACR eventually be completely scrapped for the superior RS|P?
4. How good will the upgrade path from RS|P to LR be?
5. What about the features in the making, the ones many users of RS|P asked for and where probably really be worked on?

Well, Adobe did acquire lots of technology, companies and products in the past and did come up with superior sw from it (example: CoolEdit Pro -> Audition 1.5/2)

Exciting news indeed if it holds its promise. Now we must wait and see, and perhaps give some more serious attention to Lightroom. For those on the Mac platform who have not had access to RSP (whose creator if I'm not mistaken was also a developer of Capture One) this is particularly good news, all the more so since C1 has been dragging its development feet for some time now.

Last edited:
Yes and No

Dierck Haasis, please share what you know or have observed("that will explain developments of the last weeks..."

Michael Tapes appears to be quite tied up handling the responses at the Pixmantec Forums. I hope his decafe latte isn't getting cold.

scott

Tom Henkel

One of the things I find fascinating about graphic/digital image processing software marketplace is the number of independent software companies offering such a broad spectrum of innovative products. It is reminiscent of the early days of the PC market. The big downside of this type of market is it is ripe for consolidation. While there are some very nice software products available from indepenent sources, it probably doesn't make sense to become too committed to any of them.

In this case, clearly Adobe sees Lightroom as a competitive threat. Acquiring technology is usually a faster path to building a competitive alternative rather than building it in-house. The big question is how will the Pixamantec technology re-emerge in Adobe products? Incorporated into a future version of PS? Another addition to Creative Suite? And how well integreated will it be. CS already has a number of inconsistencies from product to product.

Tom

Tony Bonanno

pro member
Having found the Raw Shooter software quite intriguing and using it often (RSP), and feeling good that there were "options" such as Pixmantec, I'm a little disturbed by this announcement. Maybe it will result in a better "Lightroom" and/or ACR, but I'm concerned that it is an example of "eliminating" some talented competition. I wonder if RawShooter was just too much of a threat to Adobe's "raw future" with the PC market. I would like to think it was a deal based on wanting to incorporate worthwhile technology, but you have to wonder. Hopefully, it will turn out to be a good thing, time will tell... I'll miss the refreshing "pricing" and philosophy of Pixmantec.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
scott kirkpatrick said:
Dierk Haasis, please share what you know or have observed("that will explain developments of the last weeks..."

Only what everybody else saw - and it may well be said I overinterpret after the fact: long time no hear from pixmantec, Michael's own comments on R&D became formulaic, no new products from pixmantec (although they wanted to provide a complete suite of imaging solutions), and not to forget the rather sudden demise of MT as the official speaker of pixmantec.

Can't say I 'always' wondered about what pixmantec's founders were really after, competing against Adobe and Corel or showing off their technical and marketing prowess. I mean, leaving C1 to do the exact same over again? Producing a good product with the best marketing campaign I've seen in years - for what, another runner-up?

Let's not jump to conclusions but I actually hope that it was a very early idea in pixmantec's plan: Getting to be bought out by a big company. Although I thought, months back, it would be Corel.

Tom Yi

Great, the whole reason I liked and used RSP and RSE before that was that it was un CS2. It was simple, fast, cheap, and most importantly still a powerful RAW processing tool.

I guess I'm ok until I upgrade bodies, since they won't be supported by my current RSP.

Don Lashier

> I'm concerned that it is an example of "eliminating" some talented competition.

Macromedia may have been a case of eliminating competition, but I think given the primitive underpinnings of ACR that this is more a case of getting serious about competing with Aperture (and C1 for that matter) by putting a good engine in the jalopy. There may have been a bit of pre-emptive elimination also as I'm sure MS is in the hunt, and they never develop, just buy.

- DL

John_Nevill

Classic vertical integration on Adobe's part and a nice little earner for Pixmantec. What more can one say? A resounding business success.

But as a RSP user it does raise the issue of "open" sidecar files along with open RAW file formats, especially when you have 10,000s of them.

Perhaps the RAW software vendors should aim for standardisation and start using xml sidecars!

Last edited:
Dierk Haasis said:
Can't say I 'always' wondered about what pixmantec's founders were really after, ... I mean, leaving C1 to do the exact same over again? Producing a good product with the best marketing campaign I've seen in years - for what, another runner-up?

Well, I remember the funny mixture of messages that we got when they were leaving C1. There was a lot of fuss about a promised, or hinted roadmap that was never met, and Michael Tapes saying that the situation was about to improve greatly. Then development of the DSLR product in C1 slowed even more while they refocussed on supporting the medium format back business, which is probably doing well. And RawShooter started up with only the DSLR business to care about. There are only two objectives for a startup that I know of -- IPO or buyout. With the slim margins and long period of only free products that RS worked with, the IPO must have gotten further and further away, so aren't you happier that the technology finds a home in Adobe, which can really use it and has an end-to-end product with some real DAM aspirations, rather than Corel?

Dierk Haasis

pro member
I am definitely not unhappy with what has happened, as can be seen on pixmantec's forum. Personally I had some other ideas about development and cooperation between companies. Well, Lightroom was already on my agenda.

Sid Jervis

pro member
I like the idea of RSP getting to the point of being cross platform. Pixmantec were never likely to develop into that arena in the short or medium term. So for me, I see it as a plus.
And to be honest, If you ran a private company and Adobe wandered up and wanted to buy your "tech assets", you bet the signature would be a fast one.

Good move.

John Hollenberg

I have probably done more beta testing on RSP than anyone else (my current bug list is well over 100 bugs). Brilliantly designed, but still some faults in implementation. It is a disappointment to lose this product now, but may be beneficial in the long run--especially for Adobe Lightroom users. Perhaps Adobe will have the resources to fill in the gaps.

When buying a new product from a small company, one never knows if the company or software will survive. I feel that I got my moneys worth with RSP, and will continue to use it until something better comes along. I don't think Adobe bought Pixmantec to "stifle the competition". I think they saw value in the technology and that it WILL end up in their product down the line. As one who hates ACR, having the technology in RSP incorporated into an Adobe product gives it a certain measure of immortality that it probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Just my thoughts.

--John

Robert Edwards

Hi John,

John_Nevill said:
But as a RSP user it does raise the issue of "open" sidecar files along with open RAW file formats, especially when you have 10,000s of them.

Best case scenario is Adobe Pixmantec make a conversion utility so your RSP sidecars translate to Lightroom. I'm sure it was Michael Tapes who had Phase One make such a tool when Capture One changed their database. Edit: On second thoughts Adobe could simply make a RSP to DNG converter.

John_Nevill said:
Perhaps the RAW software vendors should aim for standardisation and start using xml sidecars!

I hear you there! Not just for RAW converters but image browsers and asset management apps too. My guess is Adobe's XMP will win, it's already being supported by several other apps.

I wish they had lasted long enough to include support for Sony's raw format (ARW). Now I find myself with a defunct camera (KM-7D wedded to a defunct raw converter. For me, the benefits of an efficient raw converter out weigh the benifits of a body upgrade unless sony does something truly astounding.

Since I won't switch converters unless something comes along at least as good as RSP, I'll stick with my 7D/RSP combo until the shutter dies.

I spent some time in the Lightroom forums this afternoon...doesn't look like a good candidate for an RSP replacement quite some time, if ever.

John Hollenberg

Don Lashier said:
> my current bug list is well over 100 bugs

Then this should fit right in with Adobe products ;)

- DL

Yes, I was wondering if they paid extra for the bugs or if they
were thrown in for free :) It could be that they were experiencing
a shortage and just wanted to make sure they had a good supply
on hand.

However, I must say that most of the bugs didn't keep RSP from being
a lean, mean converting machine. I will keep using it until I see something
better, or until I buy a camera which it doesn't support.

--John

Diane Fields

John Hollenberg said:

--John

I agree completely---the bugs never affected me in any appreciable way. I'll keep using it--and C1 too, to keep my hand in on that one, until I find something else that works as efficiently and well as RSP.

Rob.Martin

RAW Converters

This does come as a surprise to me. But I guess this is one of those inevitable "big guys clean up" things. RAWSooter is the only RAW prog I have not used, for some reason, but with C1, ACR, Lightroom, DXO, ACDSee, Bibble et al seems to me there is plenty to choose from still.

The fact they've sold out should be no surprise, despite them being touted as the "Alternative". I always thought they'd pull a stunt, albeit a commercial decision, like this.

Good on them, take the money and run..... why not??

Rob

rob

Rob.Martin said:
Good on them, take the money and run..... why not??

That appears to have happened :-/ Oh well, they got some of my money as well and will no doubt be demanding more for the upgrade path out of this mess - it's ok, I am obviously a bottomless supply of cash for them :-/.

John Hollenberg said:
Yes, I was wondering if they paid extra for the bugs or if they
were thrown in for free :) It could be that they were experiencing
a shortage and just wanted to make sure they had a good supply
on hand.

--John

You must know the Japanese memory manufacturing story? Where IBM tentatively bought their first shipment of Hitachi memory chips, imposing a tough quality standard of 3 ppm failures at maximum. When the first box arrived in Poughkeepsie, the IBMers opened it and found a little envelope on the top, containing three chips, and a note: "here are your 3 bad chips. We don't know what you want them for, but the contract called for it..."

I will also keep using RSP and the Oly E-1 until they pry my cold dead fingers off them, but with an E-3 coming out this fall, who knows what is next. My thanks, not only to Michael -- who took the most guff, but at least got paid for it -- and the rest of you volunteers who got only ego points, for making RSP such a useful product in such a short time. Now let's go give Adobe the full force of our accumulated knowledge :<). There's already an acknowledged Lightroom guy on the Pixmantec forums. Unfortunately he is talking about how great Lightroom is already on track to be. This will be an interesting technology shootout, but the insider group always has the advantage of checked-in code

scott.

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
To all
I guess that Michael Tapes is very busy at the moment, I'm sure he will be back ASAP and answer your questions.
I'm sure you'll understand and be patient...

Andrew Rodney

This is all speculation on my part, that said....

Unless this deal was in the works for a LONG time, I doubt you'll see the fruits of the software in version 1 since it has been said publicly by the LR team they hope to have the first version out before the end of this year. In my mind, that means RSP technology will likely be a version 2.0 reality OR Adobe purchased them to kill the competition.

Nigel Atkinson

After reading this thread I went to download the latest version of RSP (while it is still there). I haven't used it for a while, and it was interesting to be reminded just how good the user interface is - especially when compared to Bridge.

Hopefully there will be a net gain for customers ...

Nigel

Rob.Martin

Slow slow slow

Interesting when this happens we all tend to look back at what we have, or review those ones we may not have tried. I bought a MacBookPro Core Duo, hoping Lightroom and Aperture woudl be quicker. Wrong answer. C1 still does the trick for me.
Cheers,
Rob

NigelA said:
After reading this thread I went to download the latest version of RSP (while it is still there). I haven't used it for a while, and it was interesting to be reminded just how good the user interface is - especially when compared to Bridge.

Hopefully there will be a net gain for customers ...

Nigel

Don Lashier

> Wrong answer. C1 still does the trick for me.

Me too. Maybe it's just momentum but I've tried all the various RC's that came along (except Silkypix) and still see no reason to switch from C1, not only speed-wise but quality-wise.

- DL

Tony Bonanno said:
Having found the Raw Shooter software quite intriguing and using it often (RSP), and feeling good that there were "options" such as Pixmantec, I'm a little disturbed by this announcement. Maybe it will result in a better "Lightroom" and/or ACR, but I'm concerned that it is an example of "eliminating" some talented competition. I wonder if RawShooter was just too much of a threat to Adobe's "raw future" with the PC market. I would like to think it was a deal based on wanting to incorporate worthwhile technology, but you have to wonder. Hopefully, it will turn out to be a good thing, time will tell... I'll miss the refreshing "pricing" and philosophy of Pixmantec.

Bear in mind that RSE/RSP are x86 CPU only and then require the SSE instruction set (recent x86 cpus). Apple just switched to Intel CPU's so hopefully we will see an integration rather than elimation.

I find RSE/RSP to handle high contrast and low light shots far better than ACR. ACR has far more noise and crazy behavior around extreme contrast.

RSE/RSP both show exposure detail as you consider the conversion. ACR does not. This can help you understand what you shot quite a bit.

Personally, I think it would be awesome to have a hybrid conversion of ACR and RSE/RSP and get the best of both. Though at this time, for easy Velvia/E-100 VS looks I like SilkyPix.

RSE/RSP also has better built in sharpening than ACR to my eyes.

In the end, this may be a result of Apple's Intel switch, and at a minimum, Apple's Intel switch bodes better for this acquisition.

some supposition and opinion,

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.