• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello from Toronto

Jonathan Ward

Please accept my apologies for not posting earlier. After I joined the Forum last week I fully intended to post straight away - but other things caught up with me and finally I have found time to write.

I am really enthusiastic about the concept of the Open Forum and am looking forward to being involved and entering the various activities. I want to improve my photography and hope to get new inspiration from this group.

I am I suppose, what is called a "serious amateur". I used to enter a lot of club competitions as a slide photographer but have been shooting only digital for the last three years. I have been a judge for the Greater Toronto Council of Camera Clubs (GTCCC) for the last ten years. I really prefer wildlife photography as quite frankly my people photographs just don't work.

In the next twelve months I want to work on learning how to improve my bird photography. I am presently deciding on which Canon lens to buy - the 500 F4 IS or the 600 f4 IS to use with my 5D and 10D bodies. I already have an old Canon 500 f4.5FD together with the real Canon FD to EOS convertor with the glass element. There are some limitations to this set up - No Autofocus being the main one together with the need for IS as there is just too much vibration on the camera, lens, TC, ball head and tripod combination I have now.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jonathan Ward said:
Please accept my apologies for not posting earlier. After I joined the Forum last week I fully intended to post straight away - but other things caught up with me and finally I have found time to write...........

In the next twelve months I want to work on learning how to improve my bird photography. I am presently deciding on which Canon lens to buy - the 500 F4 IS or the 600 f4 IS to use with my 5D and 10D bodies. I already have an old Canon 500 f4.5FD together with the real Canon FD to EOS convertor with the glass element. There are some limitations to this set up - No Autofocus being the main one together with the need for IS as there is just too much vibration on the camera, lens, TC, ball head and tripod combination I have now.

Hi Jonathan,

A heart welcome! Why don't you repost the birds photography question here:

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Asher