• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Longhorns redux

Doug Kerr

Many of you may recall my photo from a few years ago, "Longhorns in the Shade." It shows a family of longhorn cattle in a small temporary pasture at the corner of two country roads near our home in Weatherford, Texas.

Carla has continued her study of painting with acrylic, now studying under a very accomplished local painter. For her most recent project, she decided to paint from that photo. The result is just exquisite.

Q10668-03-s800.jpg

Carla C. Crittenden, Longhorns in the Shade, acrylic on canvas (Photo by Douglas A. Kerr)​

The work was Carla's Valentine's gift to me. I am just thrilled!

It is, by the way, mounted in a front-mount shallow shadowbox frame, so the painting had to have full wrap bleed.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How big is it?

Doug,

You knew I was going to love it. At first I thought it was a new photograph!

That cow on the left has fabulously engaging eyes. Great you don’t have prides of lions prowling around!

Here we have mountain lions, but could they take down a longhorn?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

How big is it?

20" × 16".

You knew I was going to love it.

Oh, yes!

That cow on the left has fabulously engaging eyes. Great you don’t have prides of lions prowling around!

Here we have mountain lions, but could they take down a longhorn?

Well, that I don't know.

It was really a daunting project, and I am so proud of Carla for pulling it off so well.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Peter,

A nice copy of the photo but what is going on with the fence? It seems to be dropping down hill.

Well, that's just how the terrain works.

Here is the original photo:

Longhorns_F06797-03-C1-800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Longhorns in the Shade

Indeed. the slope of the ground with the fence is greater in the painting than in the photo.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Now don’t rest on your “Longhorn Laurels”, Doug and Carla.

Go and find those critters and get more winners. This is a favorite but time it had siblings!

Asher

Asher Kelman

The original photo:

Longhorns_F06797-03-C1-800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Longhorns in the Shade

I’ve always thought Carla and you make a great pair, but this cooperation in art is simply perfect!

I hope this is only the first such collaboration. Let’s have many more!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Tell me, Doug, now that you are equipped with an even better camera than you had way back when you took the notable original longhorn picture.

This would be fabulous!

.....and Carla then would have more homework!

Asher