• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: A Dog photographed so uniquely, it might be sold in a gallery as Art!

Brian Lowe

Sometimes a photograph in a series demands it extra recognition. Here, I think, there's one such image by Brian Lowe. He's one of those low key people who do not self-promote and likely has no "Artists Statement"! He is, however, approachable, skilled and one of the most sensitive photographers I have met.

I hope he'll forgive me for using this one picture to initiate a thread on the friend of man!! Please, no snap shots of how darling your pooch is! Select images that have been processed with respect for the subject and that have artistic impact that transcend your particular relationship with a pet. No masterpieces needed. No breakthroughs in design, just pictures that are inviting to revisit because they are so impressive! This street dog is, IMHO, a worthy hound to start toff his new challenge! So please dig through your pictures and send us some dog impressive enough to love and to print well!

Asher

Brian Lowe said:
I recently traveled to Panama for play and it was a fantastic trip. Here are a few landscape and cityscapes from Panama. This was my first trip to Panama and it wont be my last last either I cant wait to go back!

If you want to see some of the other photos from this trip you can visit my site and click on travel and you'll find the Panama galleries. ==> www.brianlowe.net

These were taken with a Rebel XT or 1DMKlln with 14-40L or 24-70L lens.

C&C is welcomed.

Enjoy,
Brian

This fellow was wondering the streets of old Panama, he stop for a pose then went his way.
197010051-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Rogers

Good stuff, Brian.

Odd for me to get excited about a doggie pic. I'm normally not a huge fan of domestic pet pictures (yes, I know this is not your dog, it's a "street shot", and I've been known to photograph my daughter's cat's from time to time so please no offense intended to anyone....I'd change my tune fast if we had a pet at home!)

Got a giggle out of your title of the last "wondering the streets". Likely a typo, but little doubt the pup was certainly "wondering" what in the world you were doing. Did you get a model release???

-Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A lot of people have dogs they love! There are dogs in the parks and streets.

We all have cameras! So where are the great pictures!

Are they just bad subjects?

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
No, they are my favorite subjects...

My friend's little dog, named after me, Katyusha (for Kathy) and my dog's cousin - taken in Puget Sound in May. Her job is guarding the house from stray boats that might sail by the house.

medium.jpg

Her cousin, my dog Daisy, one of my first images with the 50 1.2 - she loves to sit and stay for my camera where her brother, my Lhasa Apso, goes and hides when he sees the lens.
medium.jpg

And lastly, this is Kirby. Kirby was having Coffee at Ghiradelli Square with his owners and I was taking a street portrait class a year ago. He shook just as I snapped. I love this image.

medium.jpg

Asher Kelman

Great Kathy!

We're looking for special pictures. I took the liberty of editing your first image. I hope you like it. In any case, this kind of portrait has sufficient impact to be worthwhile. in my humble opinion.

Kathy_Dog.jpg

© 2007 Kathy Rappaport

Could you do more? This is a great pooch! Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I love the coloring, Marion!

Such a handsome dog. I love the coat and the look. Can you bring out the coat more.

The asymetrical placement of the head and the negative space is not what I'd design but it appears to work nicely. Is this a crop from a larger image?

Is the "pink" background out of focus leaves on the ground?

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Marian - How regal! Is that an Irish Setter?

Great Kathy!

We're looking for special pictures. I took the liberty of editing your first image. I hope you like it. In any case, this kind of portrait has sufficient impact to be worthwhile. in my humble opinion.

Kathy_Dog.jpg

© 2007 Kathy Rappaport

Could you do more? This is a great pooch! Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Asher,

I couldn't tell what you did to my namesake/"niece" (Her parents call me Auntie Katya) - my friend was a linguist in the Army, speaking fluent Russian. Next time they are down, I will have to invite some of my friends who speak Russian too. She is very special to me, because when she was a puppy I stayed at her breeders house and took care of all of the relatives so they could go to the Westminster Dog Show with her Sire - who competed against my dog's Sire and they both won awards. Anyway, I totally did not follow their directions and spoiled her rotten not putting her in the pen and giving her too much freedom and dog biscuits. I have two already so a third is out of the question. All are just pets.

I do love that image. Those poor dogs are so tired of my commands to sit and stay and down and what have you. Every time a new piece of gear arrives or a new technique to try. I did a series of Katyusha and her sister, Misha, a poodle as a gift for my friends.

Marian Howell

Can you bring out the coat more.

The asymetrical placement of the head and the negative space is not what I'd design but it appears to work nicely. Is this a crop from a larger image?

Is the "pink" background out of focus leaves on the ground?

Asher

i probably should crop some off the top...and you're right asher that i could open up the shoulder more for coat detail...the truth is i have done very little to this image - i just fell in love with it! a bit of attention to it could only make it better!!
this is the whole image, kinda funky pov but i had to grab the shot while the light and the look were both there at the same time, and his mouth was closed LOL! this was shot on a beach so the bg is sand and shells, not leaves.
and he is a combination of breeds - an intended combo which escapes me at the moment.
i really like your pooch at the window kathy :)
i also like annie's "under the ladder look" - makes me laugh!

janet Smith

pro member
Here's my Kimbo!

IMG_0035srgbcopy.jpg

This is Kim, my Dach-in-a-box (half dachshund, half boxer) first generation cross, now 14 years old, still playful and exceptionally loving.

She came to us as a rescue dog at 18 months old, every bone in her body stood out, having been neglected by her previous owners, she spent the first few months with us following me everywhere like a little shadow, it took about 3 years to rebuild her confidence in people, so here she is, our much loved Kim dog.

She is very camera shy and usually disappears when the camera comes out, I managed to get this one courtesy of a Bonio she was really wanting, photo may not be fantastic, but she is!

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Marian

Glad you like the photo and Kimbo! she's a lovely dog, such a character, very intelligent and funny, and a real flirt, she still flicks around provokatively with any and every boy dog she meets! and yes she certainly did get the Bonio, bribery is the only way to get her to stay when the camera comes out!

Asher Kelman

I love this image of that dog!

Yes, Nicolas, this is special. I struggled with it and should have commented too. I wondered whether more of the dog's face might make the picture more interesting. The partial disclosure of a face is always captivating, however, I have not quite made up my mind here.

Annie,

I do think that this would make a most impressive print.

Congratulations!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
It has an atmosphere ala Cocteau, compressed shadows and highlights… but so soft…
I like the clarity of the eyes too. Well done Annie!

Annie, your photograph can certainly be considered fine art, I love the atmosphere!

Here is one of my more unusual dog photographs: I was walking in a parking lot (approaching a pickup truck, or "bakkie" as they are called here in SA) and all of the sudden this little dog wearing a Superman jersey popped up and gave me the friendliest, most excited look! Luckily I had my camera with me, I photographed him with his seemingly smiling demeanor, and he popped right back in under the cover, not to be seen again. Most unexpected!

"Gratified"

I don't think this could be sold in a gallery though, but I think, so far, Annie's is the only one which could :) Dogs are wonderful creatures, but they (usually) make boring subjects, in my opinion.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
A Cairn Terrier!

Dawid,

That little SuperMan Dog is a Cairn Terrier like Daisy and Katyusha in my posts above. Ungroomed by our US standard for the breed but, they are extraordinarily friendly little dogs with great intelligence. I love that capture.

Jesse

Jesse is a truly northern dog. With shepherd and husky genes, he's awesomely smart, supremely fleet of foot, full of fun and howls like a wolf when anyone sings. Like all huskies, he hates rain, won't put a foot into water but races happy as a hedonist across snow and ice.

Jesse.jpg

The site for the photo was on the balcony of our house with the mundane urban background stripped out and replaced by a more suitable winterly scene. The purpose of the curling rails and floor was to mimic a 'flying carpet' from which the lordly creature peruses his domain.

Asher Kelman

I had to think about your picture! I do like your portrait of the dog a lot!

The fence is unusual. I'd love to ee the orginal picture as it progressed to it's final form.

I'm so intrigued with the dea, but am struggling with the unity of the final image. Art consists of an idea embedded in a physical form. So it's sometomes informative to leanr something of the make up of a picture like this.

Asher